INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Beginning checklist procedure

• Thank you received: 1
Hio there
I'm running RP4 with Stellarmate OS and hoping to get out tonight for the 1st time.
I've watched the official tutorials but there are still some gaps in my knowledge....
Could someone help me make a procedure please?

1, Connect equipment - HEQ5 Pro, Canon DSLR, ALtair GuideCam on OAG, 200p telescope
I cannot find the video for how to setup the OAG - I had it weeks ago but cannot see it.
2 Polar alignment!?
3 Platesolve?

I dont understand how I go from connecting everything to getting the mount to point to targets in the sky. Start in park position and polar align? After polar align the mount should have a rough idea where targets are then you plate solve for finer detail?

Im sorry I know this is basic but its gaps in my knowledge...

Any help really appreciated
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 1 month ago #50345

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello and welcome to INDI forums!

1. No special setup is needed, just select the guide scope to be the same as the primary scope.
2. There is already a couple of video on this topic.
3. Plate solving documentation: stellarmate.com/support/ekos/align.html
4 years 1 month ago #50350

• Thank you received: 182

You are trying to do a lot of things all at once.
Take it one step at a time.
First, get used to how Kstars controls the mount. You can do that indoors. No need to polar align for that, just get a feel for how the mount operates and slews.
Next, connect your cameras one by one and test taking pictures to your main camera. Also check that Ekos can stream to your guide cam.
Then I would set it up in the backyard and roughly polar align using the polar scope in your mount. Even if it is not perfect, you will get the feel for slewing to your desired coordinates, plate solving and capturing.
Once you have that feel, you can polar align using the polar alignment routine in the solver. But don't worry, I visually aligned for over a year before relying on the alignment routine almost exclusively now.
At the moment you are experiencing information overload, because your are trying to do too many things at the same time.
Be patient!
This system works GREAT!
Jo

PS: Using an OAG when starting out is a real challenge. I would go with a regular guide scope. OAGs are really only helpful for very long focal lengths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fernando
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Jose Corazon.
4 years 1 month ago #50366

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the great reply.
Yes, a few things on at the moment!
I have another issue now is I cannot achieve focus so need to sort that 1st!

Thanks again
4 years 1 month ago #50378

• Thank you received: 182
What telescope do you have? 200p tells me little. Is it a reflector? SCT or RC?
The manual should tell you where the focal plane is roughly. Also remember that the DSLRs have a backfocus distance of 55 mm, whereas the distance in an ASI1600 for instance is much shorter. So you may have to take out an extension ring or two, depending on the camera. It is also possible that you may not be able to reach focus with a DSLR on an SCT as you may not be able to move the tube forward far enough.
4 years 1 month ago #50383

Time to create page: 0.825 seconds