INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guide: StellarMate OS on Raspberry Pi4 step by step with tips and tricks

• Thank you received: 0
The warning message is useful, because the Raspberry Pi throttles down when it does not get enough power which will affect the speed and responsiveness.

I had a similar problem using a battery instead of a power supply. The battery I bought only outputs 2A over the USB port, so I was ready to exchange it for a stronger one. I did some more experimentation and it turned out to be the USB cable connecting the battery to the Raspberry Pi. Maybe try to exchange the USB cable to another one you have or get a new high quality USB cable. Anker cables are usually good.

You can check if your Pi gets throttled or got throttled since power-up with the script on this page: harlemsquirrel.github.io/shell/2019/01/0...-thermal-issues.html
2 years 3 months ago #78165

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
I understand your remark but in my case, the message flashes every 5 secondes. In addition, no problem with Nafabox. But it occurs with Astroberry also.
2 years 3 months ago #78168

Stefan. i'm trying to follow your guide to set up my Stellarmate on Raspberry pi 4, but struggling with a few things, Fire captue wont start for one (cant find ./jre/bin/java, even though it's there in the directory, but thats on another thread - no answers yet though)
I bought the Flybiz wifi dongle you suggested, but the github.com/EntropicEffect/rtl8822bu.git driver no longer exists at that location, do you know where i can get this from to download?
The github suggested github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu but that didnt work either.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan
1 year 4 months ago #87833

• Thank you received: 31
Hi Alan,
It has been 2½ year since I wrote the original post.
So, I guess versions of software and drivers has changed a lot since then.

Maybe this post will help you regarding the wifi driver even though it is also pretty old:
raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/...pi-4-b/112977#112977

The git repository I used was:
github.com/EntropicEffect/rtl8822bu.git

I have not updated my FireCapture installation for a while and everything still works on my Raspberry Pi 4 since i configured it using the steps from the original post.
But I guess that this guide is outdated now, so other people are welcome to make a new post or a reply to this thread with an updated guide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Beech
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Stefan R..
1 year 4 months ago #87834

Stefan, thanks for your quick reply. i appreciate your guide is out of date, stillm very helpful though.
i'm going for a clean reinstall and starting again from scratch, hpefully with the links you provided ill have better luck.
1 year 4 months ago #87843

• Thank you received: 1
Excellent guide, Stefan. Though your posts are almost 3 years old, they are still useful to the community willing to start with automation.
By the way, I would also love to share my experience with Stellarmate OS purchased, copied on 32gb card, and running on RPi-4. I am super happy with it. And the hassle of managing cables and moving and connecting cables with laptop has become the past. Everything works on my remote laptop using VNC from my living room. I am also using SeTek Wifi Range Extender to connect to the RPi-4 and mount sitting about 30 feet far from laptop, and parted by many walls in between. In winter, and while using DSLR, number of cables does go up, but still could be managed well, in summer, and with dedicated astro cam, its a very neat and sleek setup. Here is the link to the pictures shot using this setup: telescopius.com/profile/pinakoza

Here are some pictures of my Stellarmate setup.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by PINAK OZA.
1 year 3 months ago #89240

• Thank you received: 2
Excellent guide.

By now I can start my Raspberry pi 4 just by pluging directly an SSD by USB.

But at this point of the tutorial I can't get Firecapture to work.

The problem is that Stellarmate 1.7.6 uses a 64 bit OS for our Raspberries, and the java implemented in Firecapture is a 32bit one.

Even if you install latest version of java on your Raspberry (which I did), and edit the line in start.sh too by just pointing to the new java version, the program Firecapture starts but get a lot of errors and get frozen.

Having Firecapture working in the Pi with 64bits OS is a question of having a proper version for our Raspberries.

I think this may help to someone and of course, If someone found a way to make FC work properly on our Raspberries hope it can share the way here.

Best regards.

Joaquin.
Last edit: 11 months 3 hours ago by joaquinain.
11 months 3 hours ago #92468

• Thank you received: 50
The issue with FireCapture on the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS has been raised with the FireCapture author Torsten Edelman and ‘Rafa B’ who kindly ported version v2.7.10 to the Raspberry Pi 32-bit OS. Unfortunately, Rafa B has explained that his opinion is now that the Raspberry Pi is an underpowered platform, and therefore he no longer considers it worthwhile to maintain FC for it. FireCapture has had two further upgrades since then and is now in version 2.7.12. I personally am keeping a 32-bit version of Raspberry Pi OS with KStars 3.6.0 with Indi 1.9.7 with FC 2.7.10 ready for planetary and Lunar imaging sessions, accepting that it is no longer fully up to date. Happily my equipment doesn’t strictly need any more recent versions of these applications. It would be great if someone were able to take on the task of porting FC 2.7.12 to the RPi OS 64-bit.
Last edit: 11 months 3 hours ago by Avocette.
11 months 3 hours ago #92469

Myself just came to the conclusion Astroberry has likely been updated as far as it will go. So went with Stellarmate to replace it. While kstars is now the most recent, other programs from Astroberry won't work on the 64 bit Stellarmate. So guess Astroberry for planetary imaging and StellarMate for DSO's.

I'm using a Pi400.

Trevor
10 months 6 days ago #92968

• Thank you received: 25
I was able to install FireCapture on a 64-bit Raspberry Pi 4 8GB by following the instructions here . It seems to be running okay.
Last edit: 10 months 6 days ago by Ed Lee. Reason: Corrected link typo
10 months 6 days ago #92984

• Thank you received: 6
I just use AstroDMX Capture, works great on Stellarmate and much more stable than FireCapture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jiberjaber
8 months 1 day ago #94205

• Thank you received: 4
It's November and around here that means lots of clouds so it seemed like a good time to try to add an SSD to my Rpi4 Stellarmate OS. Following advice on this thread and others I have used ApplePiBaker to copy the Stellarmate sd card to an .img file. I then used Balena Etcher to copy this file to a 250g sata ssd. ApplePiBaker worked too but gave a “spinning ball of death” so I did not trust its version.
My Rpi4 dates back to around October 2020 so I used Rasberry Pi Imager to reprogramme the eeprom in the RPI with the latest bootloader so that the system will boot from the SSD and if this is not present it will boot from the sd card.
I can still boot from the sd card but the ssd does not produce a hot spot so I cannot even try to connect.
Then I saw a comment earlier in the thread by Justin which said he had to remove the existing bootcode.bin. I dived into his documentation links but having no coding skills and became completely lost. Is there someone (Justin, perhaps) who could give me a step by step instructions to do this or an alternative method to get the ssd to boot. Thanks
Mike
4 months 2 weeks ago #97103

Time to create page: 1.481 seconds