INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Does guidecam orientation matter?

• Thank you received: 1
I'm new to Ekos and last night I spent at least 2 hours trying to get the internal guiding to work.
Whatever I did I got "cannot reach guidestar after 21 iterations..."
Finally I tried to rotate the guidecam about 90 degrees and suddenly it worked!
Should it really matter how the cam is oriented?

Guide cam: ASI 120MM-S
Guide scope: ASI60280sc using ST-4 connected to the mount (also tried through EQMount directly with same result)
Mount: HEQ5 Pro

Cheers,
// Åke
3 years 9 months ago #56125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 26
It shouldn't matter.

I've heard many people complain about the internal guider now, including myself and a colleague of me, also a tech-savvy guy.

except for a few cases where it works as intended. Best is to use PHD2, the interaction between Ekos and Phd2 is good.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 9 months ago #56135

• Thank you received: 140

I have edited your post, anymore language like that and you will be removed, maybe you don’t like a certain part of ekos, but it is better to try and explain what you don’t like and how You think it can be improved, rather than just trashing the hard work that was put in to create this superb software....
3 years 9 months ago #56136

• Thank you received: 140

The orientation of the guide cam, does not matter at all, I use the internal guider, and it works perfectly, but it can take a few attempts to tweak the settings to suit your set up, also PhD2 works very well and does have very good integration if you prefer that...
It sounds like your error is maybe to do with Calibration, do you have all the correct parameters filled in..?
3 years 9 months ago #56137

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the reply. I’ve left most parameters as default, but sure, I might have done something wrong.
I think I’ll give PHD2 a try. Just need some clear skies now...
3 years 9 months ago #56138

• Thank you received: 26
My apologies, i'm not trying to offend anyone here. I definately value the hard work that went into it and have proposed I can help development myself (but got no response).
But for me and two others at the astronomy club it has mainly been lessons in frustration management.
I have paid for the software (first second hand, and when it turned out that version couldn't be upgraded, I bought a new licence) also I got no response on an email and website chat on the first license.
I have lost many nights of imaging already because I was trying to get Ekos working properly. I have an older type of mount (iEQ45) the driver for it does unexplainable things...
And still I continue to use it and helping my friend at the astronomy club to get his stellarmate working properly. So take that as a compliment.
But I still think the internal guider isn't very good. Why does Phd2 work instantly and with no issues while I spend serious effort in getting the internal guider to work with bad result.
It's just very frustrating to me, ok?
3 years 9 months ago #56140

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds