INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

No ASI Camera after Update - Suspect port mapping

• Thank you received: 6
I’m having an issue where my ASI cameras no longer start after the latest update.

I’ve been running fine for a while. I am running an RPi4 with StellarMate OS. Mount is connected to RPi USB2, USB hub connected to other Rpi USB 2. Cameras (ASI1600mm-pro and ASI120mm-s) connected to hub. The ASI1600mm has an ASI EFW and an Astromechanics Canon lens focuser attached.

To get the system working I’ve had to Run the port mapping assistant for the mount and focuser, with physical port mapping active. Once I did that I have been successfully running since April. I’ve been applying updates as they are available.

Yesterday I applied the latest update. When I started EKOS and started the INDI server I got the pop up about No ZWO camera, Power On. The lens focuser attached to the ASI1600 did start up and was controllable. I tried different ports, I re-did port mapping, but could not get it to go. Today I loaded the SD scared with the StellarMate OS 1.5.2, resetting everything. I was successfully able to map the devices and control the setup. I ran the updater, 242 updates. When done I could no longer access the cameras, same as previously.

I spent a while playing with ports. I was able to start the cameras by connecting them directly to theUSB3 ports on the RPi4, but when I did that the mount would not connect. I also tried different cables with no success.

I’m open to any ideas. I still suspect it has something to do with port mapping, but for some reason the update changes something that I am missing.

One other thing - when the cameras do not start, the camera tabs are not visible in the INDI panel, but the lens focuser is.
3 years 8 months ago #57150

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117
In the category of "any ideas", I'll note that I have never used the port mapper. I also use SM OS (now 3.4.3 upgraded) + RPi4 + multiple ASI devices (guider + imager + focuser). I have a powered USB3 hub, and all devices are connected ONLY to the hub. The only cable back to the Pi4 is the data cable from the powered hub. That data cable is connected to one of the USB3 ports on the Pi4. You will need 5Ghz or an ethernet cable (or go hotspot without network for the test) to avoid RF interference, but all devices should auto connect from just the profile driver info. You might try to create/use a new profile without the port mapper and test this. The only hiccup for me in not using the port mapper is that sometimes, I have a conflict (log message) and need to "scan ports", then select a different port. Often, it's the (semi-random) device startup order that drives this (sometimes the mount will grab a port before my PowerBox, and vis-versa). Minor nuisance. Not sure if you'll need to purge a port mapper file first to avoid picking up prior mappings.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Doug S.
3 years 8 months ago #57151

@dmsummers - thank you for the suggestion. I gave it a try, unfortunately I had the same result.

My troubleshooting today consisted of going back to a fresh load, adding components one by one to the confit and starting it up. I got everything working. Then I updated again, and could no longer see the cameras. I also noticed the filter wheel connected to the camera did was not found, but the focuser was.

I went back into the updater, but when I returned to the desktop KStars was missing. I reflashed again, only this time I could not get the devices to all work. I thought maybe it was the card. I grabbed another card and went through the same steps. Everything connected, so I installed the update. Right after installation Iran KStars, befor rebooting. I was able to start all the devices. Then I did a reboot, and could not get the cameras or filter wheel to work again.

The last thing I did was to take the RPi4 out of the equation. I installed the latest KStars on my MacBook and connected directly to it. All devices came up as expected and could be controlled.

At this point there are a lot of odd things going on, and plenty of people are running fine. I do not think my setup is that unusual, ASI cameras (2), ASI EFW, focuser, and Skywatcher EQ6r Mount. Now I am wondering If it is the RPi 4 itself. It is one of the early models, and gets dragged around a lot. I’ve ordered a new one, a 4GB version (my current one is 2GB). It should be here in a couple days and I will give it another shot.
3 years 8 months ago #57196

• Thank you received: 50
I’m suffering the same kind of issues with the Astroberry server since performing an update/upgrade yesterday (hoping to get KStars 3.4.3 etc.). Tons of changes from Raspberry Pi, and software applications, but ultimately one half of the USB functionality had been lost. Testing with lsusb shows only four working devices against the fourteen that would normally be there. I have reverted back to a simple, clean Astroberry 2.0.2 image which shows all fourteen again. This still uses an April version of the RPi boot loader, so booting from SSD is not instantly available. The missing devices are the ones on USB Bus 001 from the list shown, which may suggest a problem with the Raspberry Pi OS handling of the USB2.0 bus.
3 years 8 months ago #57200
Attachments:

It’s interesting to me that we are having the problem, but it is not more widespread. Is your RPi4 an early version? Mine was purchased soon after they were available. I am wondering if there are some differences.
3 years 8 months ago #57230

• Thank you received: 50
Well, as it happens mine is an early version v1.1 I think of the 4GB model, although there must be be millions like it. I have now flashed the boot loader to the latest version (16 July 2020) and SSD booting works again. I tried a completely fresh install of the Raspberry Pi OS on an SD card, which updated to the latest versions during first booting. Running lsusb in terminal showed the truncated list of five USB devices only, all said to be Bus 002.
3 years 8 months ago #57258

So serial port mapper is not related at all to pure USB devices, it's only for Serial to USB device. But it's interesting that you note it could be related to the Kernel+Firmware perhaps? There was a big jump from Linux kernel 4.19 to 5.4 now, so this _could_ explain some issues, but I tested StellarMate with a dozen of cameras and they all worked flawlessly. Could be some combination of RPI4 hardware + Raspbian firmware/kernel? Use the SM Dashboard --> Diagnostics --> Boot and attach the log here (do not paste it!). Maybe it can shed some light on this.
3 years 8 months ago #57276

I can confirm it's a kernel issue.. still investigating but if you want to restore USB functionality, run this:
sudo rpi-update e1050e94821a70b2e4c72b318d6c6c968552e9a2
The following user(s) said Thank You: ouioui01
3 years 8 months ago #57279

Another possible finding, it seems this issue with the kernel only affect Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2, and not Rev 1.1

For those who have issues, can you check? <strong>cat /proc/cpuinfo</strong> and check the last lines for this information.

EDIT: So it's a permission issue. For some reason.. regular user cannot query USB devices under the new kernel. Still not sure why.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
3 years 8 months ago #57292

Thank you Jasem! That worked. I looked at the cpuinfo file, but it was empty. I may be looking in the wrong location.
3 years 8 months ago #57297

• Thank you received: 20
Hi,
Same problem with rpi4 model B rev 1.4 (8gb).
Restoring USB functionality works. Thanks Jasem!

Regards
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by ouioui01.
3 years 8 months ago #57300

So the odd thing is that I cannot reproduce this reliably... I even tested on the 8GB version (rev 1.4) and the USB stuff worked there.
3 years 7 months ago #57456

Time to create page: 0.339 seconds