INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

No ASI Camera after Update - Suspect port mapping

• Thank you received: 375
What you're saying is the problem does not occur on x86/x64 architecture, right? I would be surprised if there is any difference between vanilla and raspberry kernel for drivers/usb/serial branch. Could you do diff between the two?
3 years 8 months ago #58062

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Yes, x64. Debian with prebuilt kernels, as well as custom built kernels, trying to get the exact same kernel version as what's used on the Pi.

When I was going through this exercise, I compared the ftdi_sio.c driver file, and noticed no difference of importance. There are differences, because it seems the Raspberry Pi kernel might be cherry picking changes from newer kernels. Not sure though.
3 years 8 months ago #58154

• Thank you received: 41
Hi All,

I have just run into this problem. Camera tabs come up in indi but will not connect. I usually do a nightly build update every few days so this was all working last weekend. I am running an Odroid XU4 (running Ubuntu Mate 18.04) with a powered USB3 hub (motor focus and dew heater electronics all in one box so do not have access to the odroid based USB ports only the hub. I am able to connect to the cameras using PhD2 and loop images from both cameras so this would suggest that the problem is with EKOS/indi.
I tried to roll back to the last stable version and encountered some errors and appear to be stuck on 3.5 beta, although I will keep trying but thought that I would post in case there is a quick fix :)
Are there any work arounds currently for non Rpi single board computers?

Cheers,

Mike
3 years 8 months ago #58175

• Thank you received: 56
Jasem posted this on the first page of this thread:
sudo rpi-update e1050e94821a70b2e4c72b318d6c6c968552e9a2

Worked perfectly for me.
3 years 8 months ago #58182

• Thank you received: 50
This was a way to return to the old Raspberry Pi kernel 4.19 for Raspberry Pi users from over three weeks ago. I don't believe you would be using this with Ubuntu. There have been a number of further tweaks to kernel 5.4 from RPi.org since then which for me have solved this problem. My ASI cameras are all operating properly now. One issue which has been reported elsewhere continues - it seems that USB serial interface adapter devices from FTDI don't work consistemtly. Typical products that suffer as a consequence are SW mount EQMOD EQDirect cables wuth FTDI chips, and my Pegasus Astro Pocket Power Box which includes an FDTI brand chip.But again this is in the RPi implementations.
3 years 8 months ago #58185

Hi rishgarrod,

Sorry I should have said that I had tried everything suggested in the post with no effect. I think that there are differences in the Ubuntu OS on the Odroid XU4. It did not recognised the rpi-update (not a Pi I suppose :)

I appreciate any advice though.
Mike
3 years 8 months ago #58197

Hi Avocette,
This is all a bit curious.
I wound back to the last stable version last night only to find that this is now the 3.5.0 beta. So I will have to find some other way of rolling back further.
Debug suggests that both my ASI294MCpro and ASI120MM-S are being recognised but the indi gui only has three tabs and no connection options. Connect and disconnect on the main tab do nothing.
PHD2 running in the same system picks up the cameras OK so there does not appear to be an issue with the USB etc. I am no expert but this has happened since the last nightly build. Hopefully if I can find a stable version before 3.5.0 I should be able to get back up and running.
Anyway I have a alternative testing framework with a RPi4 running Ubuntu 20.04 which I updated a couple of days ago but did not test.
Oh well the weather is very overcast for this weekend so no prospect of getting the gear outside.
If I find a solution I will post.

Cheers,

Mike
3 years 8 months ago #58198

• Thank you received: 15
Changing the EQMod Direct cable from my external powered USB 3 hub directly to one of the Raspi’s USB 2 ports did the trick for me as well. Now my ASI290MM is recognized by Indi again, finally. The ASI290 is connected to the USB 2 hub of the ASI294 which in turn is connected to the USB 3 hub.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Bernd Limburg.
3 years 8 months ago #58222

Hi limburg11,

This just gets more interesting. Unfortunately I have been testing without an EQMod Direct (telescope simulator) as well as the EQmod and the same result so that is not going to work for me.
I spent yesterday installing Ubuntu 20.04 (another interesting experience in the Odroid XU4) with the same result.
I am going to pull the Odroid and use the RPi4 and see how that goes as most people on this forum seem to be finding workarounds with RPi4 but none of these appear to work with the Odroid. Thanks for the advice though.
Rainy weather here so I am not missing out on any clear sky time :)
Mike
3 years 8 months ago #58224

Hi All,

Thought I would give an update. After trying Ubuntu 20.04 (ASI indi drivers not loading) with same result then reverting back to 18.04 and reconfiguring from scratch I ended up with even worse problems with the indi drivers all crashing on start up of any indi profile with live equipment attached. So I figured it's curtains for the Odroid and will be using RPI4 (ordered an 8gig version) from now on.
In the meantime, using a spare RPi4 running Ubuntu 20.04, I am still having some issues with using a USB3 hub. Everything connects with no crashes on the stable version of KStars but the ASI294MCpro hangs on capture. The ASI120 attached to the 294 hub captures OK and both cameras will capture using phd2.
I just tried the nightly build but that crashes on load up of the ASI drivers. :( I have rolled back to the stable KStars to get a functional system as the weather has improved. Using the stable version the ASI 294MCpro will capture OK when attached directly to the Pi but that makes it awkward in my system as the Pi is in a bare board state in an enclosure with DIY dew heater and motor focuser (plus powered USB3 hub).
I note that the work around to roll back the kernel has worked for Raspian users but the command is not recognised in ubuntu. Are there any similar quick fixes for ubuntu users to roll back the kernel?

Cheers,

Mike
3 years 8 months ago #58268

I posted too early. The ASI 294 capture was still hanging even when plugged directly into the Pi. However I have discovered that this was related to trying to capturing to the internal SD card. My usual workflow is to capture to an external HD. Just for testing I was trying to keep it simple and capture to internal SD. Now I am capturing to the HD everything is working.
So just to reiterate I am using a Rpi4 4Gig running ubuntu 20.04. I am using a powered 7 port USB3 hub. Everything now is plugged into the hub (ASI 294MCpro (+ASI120MM-s) also NEQ6Pro mount using a EQdir serial to USB connector, plus arduino motor focuser and portable HD) with nothing apart from the hub plugged into the Pi and everything connects and works as expected. :)
However the crashing of the ASI drivers on the current nightly build is still occurring so I will stick to the stable version for the time being.

Mike
3 years 8 months ago #58269

So after 4 hours of some deep dive into this, I found the root cause. It's a udev issue and I emailed the maintainer to look into it.

For StellarMate users, run this:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

If you want to try it out, edit /lib/udev/rules/60-rpi.gpio-common.rules:
SUBSYSTEM=="bcm2835-gpiomem", KERNEL=="gpiomem", GROUP="dialout", MODE="0660"
SUBSYSTEM=="gpio", KERNEL=="gpiochip*", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'chown root:dialout /sys/class/gpio/export /sys/class/gpio/unexport ; chmod 220 /sys/class/gpio/export /sys/class/gpio/unexport'"
SUBSYSTEM=="gpio", KERNEL=="gpio*", ACTION=="add", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'chown root:dialout /sys/%p/active_low /sys/%p/direction /sys/%p/edge /sys/%p/value ; chmod 660 /sys/%p/active_low /sys/%p/direction /sys/%p/edge /sys/%p/value'"

Then reboot and try it out. Please confirm if this fixes the issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maxthebuilder, Bernd Limburg
3 years 8 months ago #58370

Time to create page: 1.402 seconds