INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] PHD2 always crashes when connect using INDI

• Thank you received: 25
Good morning everyone

This may maybe the correct place for this question, but PHD on StellarMate always crashes when guiding. I can only use it for polar alignment and drift alignment.

Anyone having the same problem or any idea what is wrong?

Thank you
Mohamed
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Mohamed.
3 years 3 months ago #63794

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:PHD2 always crashes

I may be wrong about it, but I think that because of the recent updates to indi, you might have better luck rebuilding phd2 from their bleeding edge instead of using the last release. I also had issues using older versions like 2.6.8.

-Eric
3 years 3 months ago #63855

• Thank you received: 5
Hi, I just come onto the forum to post something similar. Both KStars and PHD2 crash while in the middle of guiding. I found the correlation on 2 occasions when PHD2 lost a star then it would crash. I was able to go through the PHD2 log and see when it nose dived.

Unfortunately I am not a software person only a hardware person, so I can't place a simple idea what could be wrong and where to look at this stage.

Forgot to mention I am not using Stellarmate, I am using Astroberry.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Malcolm Whinfield.
3 years 3 months ago #63856

Replied by Mohamed on topic Re:PHD2 always crashes

Hi Eric,

I'm using PHD2 version 2.6.9 (the one that comes with Stellermate). Is this is going to be different from the compiled one?
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Mohamed.
3 years 3 months ago #63859

Replied by Mohamed on topic Re:PHD2 always crashes

Hi @mswhin63

I think you are correct, I believe a passing cloud can crash PHD2 when it is combined with Indi. I managed to make it work (for some time) using PHD2 separately from EKOS, ut I think it crashed again and I switched to EKOS internal guider.

Will try to build one as Eric suggested...
3 years 3 months ago #63860

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Re:PHD2 always crashes

Yes it will come different because of the changes we did during summer. 2.6.9 is from early summer, 2.6.9dev1 should be better.

Also, currently, main branch of phd2 *will* crash if it loses the connection with the INDI driver in use. Incidentally, Ekos *will* restart the CCD driver/s if it cannot expose properly after some time, leading to the same crash in some cases and some drivers. So check that possibility too.

-Eric
3 years 3 months ago #63976

Replied by Mohamed on topic Re:Re:PHD2 always crashes

Hi Eric

I tried 2.6.9 dev2 yesterday with EKOS and it worked very well... Thanks for the tip (again)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
3 years 3 months ago #64295

• Thank you received: 5
Yes I had it working better, but after a particular incident, cant remember it crashed and then every time after for short time it crashed again and again. I think if I reboot it, it would have worked again fine.

Whatever it is, it is finicky.

Not sure if I can handle all the issues at this time.
3 years 3 months ago #64329

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Re:Re:PHD2 always crashes

One thing you can do is to NOT include the guider device in the Ekos profile. Because it is already in the phd2 profile, Ekos will simply ask phd2 to connect to whatever device it is configured to use. However, it may mean you need a second indiserver to run in parallel, and phd2 was a bit hesitant to connect to two different ports (mount + cam) the last time I checked. This works better if phd2 has native support for your camera.

-Eric
3 years 3 months ago #64396

Thank you Eric for your response. I thought about that, but also didn't work well for me as both the guide and main cameras are ZWO. PHD crashed faster if I grabbed a camera directly (not through indi) and then for whatever reason ekos try to open it.

I think the dev 2 worked well for me the last time and will continue to use it for some time...
3 years 3 months ago #64602

Ah yes, you are absolutely right. We need drivers that look for a single camera instead of enumerating and instantiating all of them. I do have the same issue with the Atik driver, and was forced to use two hosts.

-Eric
3 years 3 months ago #64655

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds