INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Parameters of solver control ?

• Thank you received: 10
Hello,
I have some problems to understand exactly the parameters of the solver. I've read the documentation but not enough clear for me.
So, I use a ASI1600MC + Megrez72 + Flattener III. My focal is 343mm.
Yesterday, I have had a lot of problem to solve my position. Finaly, I went to Polaris, did a Solver capture with the option Nothing. And yes, the position was found. So, I went to the Beta Ursa Minor, launched Solver capture with always the option Nothing and perfect. I switched to Slew to target and again perfect. After, all was great.
So, I don't understand how to initialize the first solving ? When I parked my mount, do I need something to keep the memory of the positiion ?
And I don't understand why I can't activate the log :

And my parameters :

Thank you for your help,
Frank
3 years 1 month ago #67292

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Hi there,

So I would usually recommend using the "sync" option for doing plate solves, since that will update your mount with the position of the solve. "Nothing" is just like a test to see if it works. "Slew to target" can be a good option, particularly if you are using "load and slew" but I personally find that doing a couple of solves in different areas of the sky with the "sync" option, and then trying to slew to the target using the skymap or goto works best for me if not doing "load and slew".

"And I don't understand why I can't activate the log"
--You need to select "verbose" and then you probably want to select "file" so that it saves your log.

For the other issue mentioned in your post, not being able to do the first solve, it is not clear to me what you did. We would need more information. Did you turn on your mount when it wasn't in the home position and then try to plate solve with it pointing somewhere else? That would mean that the solver thinks it should be pointed at Polaris when it really is not. If that is not the issue, I would need more info.

Thanks,

Rob
3 years 1 month ago #67333

Hi Rob,
Thank for your message. Ok pour Sync, I'll do that the next time.
And ok for "Verbose", perfect.
About my problem, in fact, when I parked my mount (to Polaris), I've a problem after to solve my localisation.
Yesterday, I purged all the config of my mount (calibration's points and park). After, I went to Polaris and did a Solver/Capture. The solver found my position and after that, all was fine.
I think my problem is the park.
I need to park my tube horizontally. For that, I target a star near the horizon East and set the Park. Perhap's it's not the good method ?
Frank
3 years 1 month ago #67355

• Thank you received: 809
Ah yes ok, so that entirely depends on your particular mount. For example, my Losmandy expects to be in its home position pointing at Polaris when it is turned on if you do a “cold start”. It has other settings where you can park it and then start it up again remembering the position, but if you were to leave it pointing that other direction and did a “cold” start, it would think it’s pointing at the pole when it really isn’t. There are some mounts that have different park positions where you can park it at one of several orientations, and as long as you do the park procedure when you shut down, then when it starts up it knows it is pointing that way. So my recommendation would be to read the manual or online information about your particular mount, see what park positions or startup modes it has, and try to use that. If that doesn’t work, an easy solution would be to store the scope whichever way is best and to just put it in the park position while you are setting up before you turn it on
3 years 1 month ago #67358

Ok, thank you for your informations.
I've a Orion Atlas EQG, like an EQ6 and all my setup is in an observatory.
So, I'll read the notice of my mount to understand.
Thanks,
Frank
3 years 1 month ago #67361

Time to create page: 1.185 seconds