INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars on RPi4

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Dean on topic Kstars on RPi4

your group and mode values are incompatible maybe ? seems like group 2 only goes up to 87:
tinyurl.com/1fg6bkj6

the section starting at "Which values are valid for my monitor?" looks like it has
the info you need
3 years 1 month ago #67412

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Paul on topic Kstars on RPi4

rishigarrod,

Kstars runs fine on a Raspberry Pi 4 2GB along with Ekos and PHD2 - although I have stopped using PHD2 recently and started using the internal guider.

I VNC into it over WiFi.

Paul
3 years 1 month ago #67415

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Rick Wayne on topic Kstars on RPi4

Same. RPi4, 4 GB, usually pretty responsive but occasionally logy UI. I usually connect via Ethernet in my yard b/c the WiFi is spotty out there; in the field, the hotspot WiFi access isn't a problem. I run it all on the Pi and VNC in; don't want an imaging session in the field to tank b/c my laptop battery got cold and died! Switched the WiFi to only do 2.4GHz, IIRC, due to the WiFi/USB 3.0 conflict. Probably better now that StellarMate has moved off Ubuntu, but I've never tested it.
3 years 1 month ago #67421

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Will Gauvin on topic Kstars on RPi4

I've been using Astroberry but I'm now setting up an ArchLinux based RPi4 build, based on Manjaro ARM. I have yet done an engineering run but it all connects to my equipment.

I use a RPi4 4GB, the RPi4's are actually 64 bit machines but Raspbian/Raspberry OS only defaults to 32 bit unless you use the RPi 400 which has 8GB of memory (Manjaro ARM is only 64 bit).

For both the current Astroberry and my Manjaro based one I use VNC. I have found that VNC with my Manjaro one seems to be way better with less dropped packets, this was even before getting a USB WiFi dongle, though I would recommend getting a USB dongle for the WiFi as they act as an external antenna.
3 years 1 month ago #67422

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Ronald Scotti on topic Kstars on RPi4

I run Kstars on an Rpi 4 with 8 Gb of Ram, the cost of the extra Ram seemed worth it. I have recently switched from a 32 bit OS (Raspbian) to a 64 bit OS (Ubuntu 20.1) because I think the 32 bit system was having issues with possible memory overwrite. I had been using the Astorberry server version and never had an issue with the server, my problems seemed to stem from the Plate solving and sometimes from too much image manipulation in the Fits viewer. I have only jsut started to use the equipment with Ubuntu, but so far everything is working ok. I run everything on the RPi and connect my equipment using a powered USB hub (Anker); also i have recently started booting the Rpi from an SSD instead of the SD card. I have an ethernet connection between the Rpi and the house, I roll my equipment out of the garage and down the driveway about 100' for a better view of the sky. I connect over VNC and I am using x11vnc on the Rpi, as I am running a desktop OS and I want to connect to Display 0.
3 years 1 month ago #67423

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Kstars on RPi4

Mode 88 is correct as that is for custom resolutions, it’s what I use for 2560 x 1440...
3 years 1 month ago #67442

You need to uncomment the 4kp60=1 line, as this allows resolutions above HD....
Also it’s an odd resolution you are trying to use, are you sure your monitor natively supports this....?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rishi Garrod
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 1 month ago #67443

Mode 88 is correct as he is setting a custom resolution, so needs to use a mode outside of the used ones....
3 years 1 month ago #67444

• Thank you received: 56

Replied by Rishi Garrod on topic Kstars on RPi4

Thanks, I will give this a try. It's a MacBook pro with a retina screen. Might give its own challenges but I will see.

Yes, that worked, 4kp60=1 was the golden tip!

Works really well. The resolution is fantastic and the response is still good. Great to have so much real estate. I can have all the windows open (Kstars / Ekos / Indi) next to each other.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Rishi Garrod.
3 years 1 month ago #67449

Glad it worked for you....and I agree, I use 2560 x 1440 any more and it gets really laggy over VNC...as I run it all on the rpi...
3 years 1 month ago #67465

• Thank you received: 56

Replied by Rishi Garrod on topic Kstars on RPi4

Managed to do a session running everything on the Pi. I am definitely going to stick with this.
Kstars seems more stable on the Pi than on the Mac and I don't have to worry if the Mac battery runs out.
3 years 1 month ago #67779

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic Kstars on RPi4

I run everything from a Rpi4 as well, it sits on the back of a C8, on a small (3D printed) pedestal to keep the warmth away from the scope.
For me, connection over Wifi works fine, but it wasn't always so, so I bought a Netgear wifi extender.
You also have a Gem45. The connection to the 12V through the mount is all you need. The rest is Wifi, Bluetooth or with short wires to the Rpi.
I made a small 12V-to USB converter which lives next to the Rpi.

Placing & connecting the telescope on the mount takes about a minute.
And it's already pre-balanced because I use a stop for that. On the dovetail it's a dovetail clamp I had lying around from the iEQ45 and on the counterweight bar simply a 3D printed ring-clamp.

I try to reduce the hassle to set up the telescope so it's easy to place it outside, even if only for a few hours of imaging.
In lieu of owning a own observatory...
3 years 1 month ago #67788
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.967 seconds