INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Sony Alpha 7iii Set Up Issues

• Thank you received: 1
Hey Everyone - new poster here and new to INDI / astrophotography. Have a relatively (I hope) straightforward issue that I hope to fix soon (it is CLEAR out tonight!) and get back to capturing photons ;)

My setup: RedCat 51, iOptron Skyguider Pro, Sony Alpha 7iii ( ILCE-7M3 ), Raspberry Pi 4 + Stellarmate

My programming / pi skills are novice, so please keep it basic even though I am learning rapidly.

I have Stellarmate installed, and am able to access via VNC and use the software no problem. I also connected with the app initially and it appears my profile is working appropriately in Ekos and Indi with it showing the Sony. I likewise messed around the PC control options so that seems to be in order as well (though maybe not?).

The issue is when I go to capture a preview or any image. When I do this in Ekos it throws me an error to check INDI settings that it is unable to capture. I go to INDI and it says I need to update my CCD information. Ok fine, so I enter in the info as I think it should be using this website: www.digicamdb.com/specs/sony_alpha-7/

The problem is that it does not let me set this. It simply stays red and refused to update the information. I also tried to capture previews to allow it to do this automatically, and no dice.

I hope this is relatively straightforward newbie stuff! Any ideas?
3 years 3 weeks ago #67954

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Go ahead and add some screenshot. Cheers,
Jurgen
3 years 3 weeks ago #67966

Here they are and thanks!

Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by John Pearson.
3 years 3 weeks ago #67968
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 30
you can not have 400 bits per pixel. Should be 14 or 16.
Is this correct?
Also it is not common to have same number of pixels on W and H.
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Joaquin.
3 years 3 weeks ago #67975

I'm trying to use SONY Driver since December (I have an A7S) and have a lot a bugs when using it in non bulb mode.
Right now using an A7S i bulb mode it's just useless (Star eater alters each photo).
Yesterday I open a new bug on github platform, since new version download a JPG file when using a RAW mode! github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/issues/339
Your warning "could not wait for event" in KSTAR panel is familiar to me!
Hope someone will check this driver as KSTAR/EKOS is a very simple solution to automate an entire GEAR.

Joseph
3 years 3 weeks ago #67992

• Thank you received: 2
On the bitness: you correctly selected "Format: FITS" which currently gives 16 bit / channel .fit files from my Sony A7S mark i. I presume yours will be the same.

Go ahead and set "Bits per pixel" to 16 as well. This setting syncs with the Format option above. I have noted that when I set the Format to 'raw' the setting will default to 8 bits. This is then causing problems with Ekos truncating the 12-bit data to just 8 bit and the view can show clipped data that in truth is not clipped. Not all is lost though because the saved .arw file still contains the 12-bit data and is nice and small because losslessly compressed. It's just something to consider when estimating your best exposure time and such.

Bye now, J.
3 years 3 weeks ago #68084

Time to create page: 0.838 seconds