INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Focussing a DSLR camera

• Thank you received: 1
Hey hey, still me... slowly getting the hang of it - but still very new to both astronomy and photography.

I am trying to understand what's the best way to put my DSLR camera (Canon EOS 2000D) into focus. At the moment I am using the telescope focus during the initial alignment to make sure the brightest stars I am using to align the telescope are in focus. Then, once Ekos is up and running I am trying the autofocus, but it keeps failing (saying it was unable to select a star automatically). In the Camera tab, if I take a pic with the same settings used for the focus (25", ISO1600), I can actually see a handful of bright stars - although slightly out of focus.

How do you make sure that the camera is focussing your target correctly?

Thanks!
2 years 11 months ago #69735

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Ferraro on topic Focussing a DSLR camera

To eliminate any issues due to starting focus point, you should start you first autofocus sequence with your best focus point (if you have a bahtinov mask use it to focus your system). Check your mechanics settings : initial step size and out step multiple to be sure that the first capture always show a few stars identified by the search star algorithm. To do that, after a good manual focus, move your focuser using (initial step * out step multiple) and take an image to verify star size and star detectivity.

Joe.
2 years 11 months ago #69812

• Thank you received: 182

What telescope are you using, what focuser do you have, or are you using a camera lens?  Without knowing your setup, it is impossible to give meaningful advice.

Jo

2 years 11 months ago #69822

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds