INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EQMOD will not connect with cable at all

• Thank you received: 140
Ok, I thought I would try another RPI power supply, this one is a 5amp one, and still the same :(
the cable shows when connected in DMESG, but there is no serial communication with the mount, it’s like the mount is switched off, in fact it acts the same when it is switched off and I try, yet in windows it’s perfect, with all three EQMOD cables…..WHY….?.? I am tearing what little hair I have out here…… :(
2 years 8 months ago #73589

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
In your log, 1-1.2.5 is your mount cable and 1-1.2.7 your pegasus. I think the 1.0 suffix relates to the USB internal block.

Maybe you could follow stackoverflow.com/questions/35505385/mon...usb-serial-converter to attempt to monitor the serial communication, to understand which side is causing the issue. Wireshark has a UI that can be used too. But both are a bit involved.

Another idea is to check if selinux, a security overlay, is enabled on your installation (sudo check-selinux-installation).

Yet another idea is to use "strace" to spy on the INDI driver (sudo strace -p <driver process pid>).

I don't think you provided the configuration of the serial port to the mount with "stty", could you try that? And getting a screenshot of the port properties under windows when the mount is connected?

-Eric
2 years 8 months ago #73593

@Eric
im sorry but you have completly lost me I am not well up on Linus at all, just want a working set up which I had a few months ago and nothing has changed, I have no idea what all the things  are you mentioned…..sorry…
I think my days with Linux and INdI, are coming to an end… :( as I don’t have a working set up…
2 years 8 months ago #73601

@eric,
what propertied do you need from windows, I posted them above,,,.I really don’t know what else I can post,  as I do not have any idea how to use the software you mention…..this is just beyond me….it works perfectly on windows with same settings as in INdI….
2 years 8 months ago #73602

• Thank you received: 301
When your mount is connected in Windows and communicating with the application, open the device manager, look for the COM port, right click and select properties. You will get a pop-up presenting the current configuration of the port, with bits per second, data bits, parity, stop bits and flow control.

Now, in the same situation, when your raspberry pi is connected to the mount and trying to communicate, execute "sudo stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0" (if the mount is still on ttyUSB0). You will get a number of properties which should match the Windows configuration.

When a serial port refuses to communicate, it is sometimes because the flow control is not configured the same on both ends. Flow control uses a distinct pin to validate the stability of the data transferred on the cable, and thus will block transfer until both ends agree on its electrical level.

Second point that you can try is "sudo check-selinux-installation". Although I see no reason for this to be enabled, this feature will cause security rules to be enforced to prevent random applications from using ports, sockets and other computer resources. "strace" could also help to diagnose such program execution issues.

-Eric
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Eric.
2 years 8 months ago #73607

The windows and the INdI parameters are the same…I checked this and they are shown above in the serial port properties I showed  from windows, that are the same….
2 years 8 months ago #73609

2 years 8 months ago #73610
Attachments:

@eric
ok, so I ran the command stty, and I ran first of all before trying to connect the mount in ekos, and got this, USB0 is the mount and USB1 is the Pegasus UPB

and then I tried to connect in ekos, and ran it again on the mount USB0 and got this

this means nothing to me, but the settings in windows are 
9600 baud rate
8 data bits
1 stop bit
NONE flow control
NONE parity

Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by AstroNerd.
2 years 8 months ago #73624
Attachments:

An update, have now changed out the RPI for an Intel i3 mini PC with Ubuntu 20.04, and all the issues are EXACTLY THE SAME, so the issue was not the rpi, so now everything has been changed and still does not work with EQMOD cable, tried three cables, but switch it over to the windows PC and all works fine…and all works fine on both Mini PC and RPI with EQMOD Bluetooth adapter. So anyone who can solve this gets by vote as a genius…… :)
2 years 8 months ago #73829

• Thank you received: 11
I haven't read the complete thread so my advice may be duplicate. I would reset my mount controller to factory settings, plug in cables and try anew. That is just to rule out that the BT adapter has changed some settings in the controller which Windows/Ascom does not care about but Linux/Ekos/Indi does.

CS
Klaus
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
2 years 8 months ago #73889

@Klaus
thanks, but I have tried on a fresh INdI install that has never had the BT adapter set up….I dont think that there are any settings in the mount control board that can be changed….are there…??
2 years 8 months ago #73893

• Thank you received: 17
Have you an Arduino Mega or could you borrow one? Just as an experiment, you could install the AstroEQ software onto the Mega and use it as a live Eqmod mount simulator. You don’t need any stepper drivers Kstars & Indi will think there’s a mount connected and behave accordingly, I sometimes do this when testing the mount drivers on the latest release without having to drag my mount into the house.

Cheers Alan.
2 years 8 months ago #73928

Time to create page: 1.053 seconds