INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars FOV Rotation

• Thank you received: 2

KStars FOV Rotation was created by Tim

Would it please be possible to have an interactive FOV rotation control in KStars? When I am planning a session, I like to look at the framing of the target and what will be its positioning on the CCD. While I can achieve this by the FOV editing options on the menu, the process is essentially three levels down in the menu and is slightly hit or miss - especially with "lock to celestial pole" selected. I usually end up with a "just about ok" solution to transfer to the telescope, rather than an optimal one. A simple mouse drag or +/- keyboard control would be good. Even an "Apply" option on the editing dialog would be better than the present setup, which requires having to back out of the menus before the change is applied.
Thanks
Tim Brandt
1 year 11 months ago #82258

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic KStars FOV Rotation

+1 to this. I had asked for it as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim
1 year 11 months ago #82268

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by AirBourn on topic KStars FOV Rotation

+1 for me too - I made this request five months ago! Would be super handy!
indilib.org/forum/ekos/10678-fov-feature-request.html
1 year 11 months ago #82274

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic KStars FOV Rotation

Alright, so let's try to break this down.

1. FOV indicator with keyboard + mouse shortcuts to adjust rotation. To move it around, you just need to pan the sky map.
2. Once done, what do you want to do next? Solve it and rotate it (manual or auto) in alignment module? send it to scheduler? Scheduler can use center, but rotation angle is actually part of sequence queue and not scheduler.

What else?
1 year 11 months ago #82298

Replied by Tim on topic KStars FOV Rotation

Thanks Jasem. From my perspective, I'm just looking to be able to frame more easily in KStars, when I am planning my schedule and looking for targets. On my dual mount system , I have a rotator on a WO81 but not on my other telescope (an MN190), so I usually end up having to adjust the CCD rotation angle manually in any case, with the sequence of coarse adjust, solve, fine adjust. Part of my planning is seeing if I can get an angle that will suit more than one target in a night without adjustment. Roating the CCD will almost certainly need new flats, so I try to avoid it on any given night. So it is (1) in your list that is important to me, to optimise planning. (2) is more a case of trying to ensure that the captured image will match the desired framing. It might be important to others though, if they have a more automated setup..

Regards

Tim
1 year 11 months ago #82304

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by AirBourn on topic KStars FOV Rotation

From this post: indilib.org/forum/ekos/10678-fov-feature-request.html

"KStars has a good FOV system where I can specify my imaging specs, including FOV position angle, but it's a bit clumsy to drill down to the dialog to edit the FOV rotation. My request is twofold: First, some simple keyboard shortcuts to quickly change the displayed FOV rotation angle. From there, once I'm happy with the FOV framing, I'd like a menu command or something to send that FOV framing (including the rotation of course) to the alignment module to slew to the FOV, using the solver to precisely match the target - just like the Load & Slew functionality. This would be a huge timesaver! (and really cool!)"
1 year 11 months ago #82307

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic KStars FOV Rotation

I dont have an automated rotator hence my requirement is for Manual rotation. I think it should work similar to the Polar alignment tool (and called a Framing assistant). So when you select this option it could show a screen with the FOV and a desired FOV with a rotation option and continuously take images at a set duration until you are happy with the framing.
EDIT: I just realised that Stellarmate app has a tool for this. Perhaps along the same lines here too please :-)
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by AstroMuni.
1 year 11 months ago #82322

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic KStars FOV Rotation

I'm going to add my two cents here. I see two different issues.
One, is an easier way to manually change the rotation of an FOV symbol on the sky map.
Two, A framing assistant integrated with the scheduler with rotation control.

Point two is actually really easy by co-opting the Mosaic tool with a couple small changes. Just make it capable of generating a single panel job like a general purpose framing tool.
To do so, I found by editing the mosiac.cpp source code to change the Ok button to enable-=True on line 105, and removing line 424, allowed me to create a 1 panel 'mosaic' job.
105    ui->buttonBox->button(QDialogButtonBox::Ok)->setEnabled(true);
424    // ui->buttonBox->button(QDialogButtonBox::Ok)->setEnabled(ui->mosaicWSpin->value() > 1 || ui->mosaicHSpin->value() > 1);
That was something I brought up with Eric earlier.
www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/7325-re-mosai...-width.html?start=36
1 year 11 months ago #82350

Replied by Tim on topic KStars FOV Rotation

Am I right that Andrew's suggestion is already in place? I tried playing with the Mosaic Tool in Ekos just now and it seemed to work. It still felt a little clunky (unable to zoom in the Mosaic window, transparency reset needed when the window is opened). Also, the Rotation tab in Scheduler does not seem to update automatically, so has to be updated manually. However, it does seem to be a large step towards (2).
Tim
1 year 11 months ago #82352

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic KStars FOV Rotation

Yup. It looks like those changes were done a few months ago.
github.com/KDE/kstars/commit/0ecfd135b95...f201c7e8c1f4c38c3f87
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Andrew.
1 year 11 months ago #82356

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds