INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ISO in file names

• Thank you received: 161

ISO in file names was created by Alfred

Hi!

Just recently I've had my first night session running KStars/EKOS and one thing I am missing is an option to append the ISO to the prefix (just like time stamp and duration). Since taking notes during a session is one of my weak points this would really come handy.
6 years 4 days ago #24983

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic ISO in file names

I'd like to change this to be token based instead of check boxes, it would be a lot more flexible this way.
6 years 4 days ago #24984

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic ISO in file names

I usually just add this info to the file name under which I am saving the images. If all else fails, the info will also be accessible later in the FITS header/EXIF.
6 years 4 days ago #24986

Replied by Alfred on topic ISO in file names

Which Linux tools read FITS headers anyway? Also, I haven't found any picture viewer that would display FITS files correctly, other than RawStudio which I found to be clumsy.
6 years 4 days ago #24990

El Corazon, that would be a perfect solution if only I wouldn't forget to change the object name as much as I forget to take notes what ISOs were used. I'm afraid it's something that has to be done automatically otherwise it won't be fool (that's me) proof.
6 years 4 days ago #24991

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic ISO in file names

You can actually view FITS files just like any other image file now in KDE in Dolphin and Gwenview. You probably need a recent KDE though like KDE Neon or Kubuntu 18.04
6 years 4 days ago #24992

Ah, that's it. Gwenview is my default viewer but it can't handle FITS files as of yet neither in Suse Leap 42.3 nor Kubuntu 17.10. So I will upgrade to "Bionic Beaver" once it has been released. Thanks for the hint!
6 years 4 days ago #24994

Just double click the fits file in Linux and KStars will open. Then go to File>FITS Header to see all relevant information.
Other options for Linux are ImageJ, which also allows you lots of other manipulation of your file including separating the channels, or fv FITS Editor.
6 years 4 days ago #24995

• Thank you received: 104

Replied by Patrick Chevalley on topic ISO in file names

The standard graphical tools to work with fits file are ds9 and fv.
But in your case a command line solution is probably better because this allow to write bash script to automatically move or rename your files based on some fits keyword.
You can use fitsverify, packaged in Debian/ubuntu, for that.
For example to extract the exposure time:
fitsverify -l IMAGE_001.fits | grep EXPTIME | awk '{print $5}'
6 years 4 days ago #25000

If you just want to look at the header, the easiest is fv FITS Editor, since when that opens it brings up a button labeled Header. You just click that and you get a neat summary of your entire file.
Actually, thanks to Herrhausen for starting this topic. Had I not responded and opened one of my own files from the prior night with fv I would not have found out that I had switched off the cooler on my ASI1600. I had been blaming the large background noise on light pollution and poor seeing. The FITS files showed me the actually temperature when I took the picture and that was decidedly a lot warmer than I had intended it to be.
So, looking at these FITS headers in a convenient manner can be quite useful once in a while.
6 years 4 days ago #25016

pch and El Corazon, thank you so much! That really solves my FITS problems. These are exactly the right tools for the job! Never heard about it before...
6 years 4 days ago #25020

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds