INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Improve relationship of INDI server, driver, EKOS

• Thank you received: 140
Well I for one can ONLY fully control my focuser from the INdI panel, so if that’s not there, then I am in a mess for one...
There is not nearly enough tools for focusing from the ekos focus panel...and it will be the same for many other drivers too I would imagine.. that a lot of the control can only be done from the driver control panel.. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 3 months ago #32079

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
You may compare this to ASCOM drivers I suppose. The configuration UI of an ASCOM driver is entirely in the hands of the driver developer. The support for anything else than ccd, mount and focuser is scarce for ASCOM-aware clients.
But in the end, why is your focuser not usable with Ekos? It offers too advanced features that Ekos is unable to control? It is providing controls that doesn't match what Ekos expects as methodology? Is there another client that is able to control that focuser?
I'm not really asking for a detailed answer, I just wanted to understand if the need was in Ekos, or in INDI.

-Eric
5 years 3 months ago #32080

• Thank you received: 140
Well in ekos I can’t sync the focuser to a certain point, to get back to zero I have to travel all the way back rather than just sync to zero, that’s one feature missing in ekos... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 3 months ago #32081

• Thank you received: 53
The problem arises at the INDI/Ekos interface. INDI supplies a set of standard properties that are a subset of the full features of a device and Ekos can only manage those standard properties so it can remain device agnostic.The example of gain in a CMOS camera illustrates this. Gain is not a standard property for an INDI CCD so it cannot be set through Ekos (although counter-intuitively it does allow setting ISO). But CMOS users often want to use different gain for RGB vs L vs narrowband filters.The mechanism provided in Ekos currently is a workaround that requires going into INDI control panel to set the gain then selecting the tab that contains the gain property to add to the sequence. Its a very confusing workflow.
My focuser example is the auto temperature compensation mode for TCFS. Once the camera has been focussed I want to switch on the temperature compensation and can only do this by going into INDI control panel as it is not a standard property.
My proposal in effect provides through the driver a kind of standard tab containing non-standard properties that are frequently used. It is also a virtual tab in that it is just a collection of properties that would otherwise appear on specific tabs in INDI control panel. The set of properties is initially set by the driver defaults but could also be dynamically maintained by an advanced end user. There is no problem for Ekos to get/set any property for a device as the driver provides al the information needed. It just needs to know what they do. It knows what the standard properties do but cannot know what the non-standard properties do. So the standard virtual tab simply serves up to Ekos those properties that are useful to the user(e.g Gain) and relies on the user to understand what they do and set them appropriately. Providing this information from the driver enables any client (not just Ekos) to provide the functionality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, AstroNerd
5 years 3 months ago #32097

• Thank you received: 161
Similar to what AstroNerd said, it is the same thing with Canon DSLR focusing. In Indi you can choose from 3 focusing speeds and determine the focusing time whereas in Ekos you can't do it. Also, in Ekos one can't set gain and offset of an ASI cam which must be done in Indi. Kengs' proposal of "advanced settings" resembles what I had written ("VLC like" handling of additional settings) a while ago in the "What's next for Ekos" thread. indilib.org/forum/ekos/3629-what-s-next-...tml?start=%1$d#28404
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 3 months ago #32103

• Thank you received: 30
This is only in Japanese, but this is mentioned in my blog.

tstudioastronomy.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-127.html

Other clients display the XML file read from the server to connect and set up.

But, Ekos's profile editor displays the XML file already contained even if it is not connected to the server.

With this operation method, drivers that Ekos does not contain, such as indigo, cannot be called.

If the server always starts and the function to send the XML file to the client when connected and the function to start the driver are added, there will be no operational conflict.
(Other indi compatible drivers such as Indigo can also be set in the profile editor.)

If the function is changed as shown in the attached figure, you can set indi compatible drivers such as indigo from the profile editor.

Multi-server settings are also possible.

How to use this function

-The server is always running.

-The server can send the driver xml file to the client.

-The driver can be started with an xml file.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek, Brian
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by T-Studio.
4 years 6 months ago #43246
Attachments:

Below are suggestions on how to improve consistency between Ekos and the driver.
(This is a plan that can be solved by making up for the lack of Ekos functionality.)

1. Add missing functions to each module

・ Capture module
+ Gain control function
+ Color balance control function
+ Mount the telescope focal length setting of the mounting module here
+ Switch between viewer function and sequence queue function with tabs
(The operating system is the same as other modules.)

・ Mount module
-Move telescope focal length settings to capture module
+ Display and edit latitude, longitude, date and time information
+ Add home position button

・ Focus module
+ Added zoom up / down function to selected area in viewer
+ Added real-time HFR (focus while watching video)

・ Guide module
+ Stream video support (still images + LOOP video abolished)
+ Added manual guide controller

2. Added a comprehensive operation screen for the Ekos module.

indilib.org/media/kunena/attachments/3786/Ekos.jpg

If there is a general operation screen of the module, it can be easily operated with a tablet.
It ’s also easier to shoot planets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Brian
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by T-Studio.
4 years 6 months ago #43250

Finally
・ Appropriate initial values ​​are attached to each driver.

There are places where the initial value is 0 or blank when the driver starts.

If the initial values ​​for device operation are set, adding the previous Ekos extension allows you to control everything with Ekos alone.
4 years 6 months ago #43251

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds