INDI Library v1.7.6 Released. (27 Feb 2019)

First release of 2019 comes with quite a few new drivers across the board along with significant performance improvements to INDI camera and live streaming performance. Many drivers received significant updates to improve performance & stability, while a few were re-written from scratch to be in line with INDI standards. Here are some of the highlights:

Visual aid for the scheduler?

• Thank you received: 17

Visual aid for the scheduler? was created by fenriques

having a remote observatory I rely a lot on the scheduler. What have been made so far is very powerful and with the last enhancements is even better (thanks Eric, Jasem and others that worked on that) but when planning an observation I still struggle to find the optimum schedule for different jobs.
E.g. if I plan 3 hrs on M31 it can be then too low on the horizon and knowing that, planning just 2 hours could lead to a better result .
After that, next job could be 2 hrs on M42 but starting 3 hours from now, M42 could be in a position too close to the meridian.
Of course I can simulate the timing of the job on the sky map or rely on the scheduler scoring but having a visual aid on the sky map that shows the tracks of the objects in the hemisphere could be very useful.

As a picture is worth a thousand words, in attachment a basic drawing of what I mean. Dotted / continuous line is like a job progress bar.

The following user(s) said Thank You: pug916
1 week 4 days ago #36565
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 199

Replied by TallFurryMan on topic Re:Visual aid for the scheduler?

I can feel your concern, I agree. We added warning and arrow markers to help with that, but it is still not easy.
If you configure your altitude restrictions properly, you should be able to adjust the duration of your jobs. Note that currently the order is rigid and that aborting a job due to altitude will push all other jobs, but we have incoming fixes for that.
Looking at the arrow icon at startup and completion, you should be able to determine whether the target will require a flip during its capture. You can then use culmination startup with a positive offset to avoid a flip.
You can also try the automatic sorting per altitude, but I think it might not be satisfactory enough.
Most features are there, but indeed need to be refined. We are refactoring code currently, but next features are templating sequence files and horizon restrictions (the red obstructed area one can define in kstars).
However, providing visual hints on the star map is a different story. Currently there are rise/culmination/set times displayed in a pop-up, or as curves. We could eventually show curves in the scheduler, if we could pack them in the UI.

-Eric
HEQ5-Pro - Atik 314E - Orion ED80T - DMK21 on Orion 50mm
DIY 3D-printed Moonlite and FWheel RGB/LPR
KStars and indiserver on two Atom 1.6GHz 1GB RAM Linux, VPN remote access
The following user(s) said Thank You: fenriques
1 week 4 days ago #36571

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds