INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Dome SHUTTER close on park!

• Thank you received: 53
The most dangerous part of a remote or automated dome is the chance of the shutter staying open during rain or other unsafe situation. Yet when when I unpark the dome I still have to manually open the shutter by clicking the OPEN button.
THATS FINE. (though if automated and away - I don't think it would ever open to run a sequence). What is worse is upon unsafe conditions(weather) the dome parks but the shutter doesn't close. As well a manual click of the "dome park" button will rotate it home but will leave the shutter open.

My wish - that shutter open on unpark (a check box option would be nice) and close upon dome park.
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

4 years 11 months ago #37854

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 165
Unfortunately this is currently up to the driver, my ScopeDome driver has option to control shutter with park and it does exactly as you say (open shutter when unparking, close shutter when parking). Someone(tm) could add it to the NexDome driver too (or to the dome base class even).
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Jarno Paananen.
4 years 11 months ago #37861

That's my wish = ) Jasem has taken over the nexdome driver and was tweaking it for me... seems this is a necessity. I have several nexdome owners from our group hinging on moving over to INDI... One tried but couldn't get his dome to work right. We're waiting for updated firmware to be completed.

4 years 11 months ago #37864

Can the shutter be closed/opened while the dome is moving? or it has to be still?
4 years 11 months ago #37896

• Thank you received: 165
I don't know about the NexDome, but for ScopeDome it depends on the model, larger domes only supply power to shutter at home/park position so my driver first rotates the dome to park position and then closes the shutter.
4 years 11 months ago #37904

They can both happen same time. Sgp has a check box. Asking. Close shutter with dome upon park. And other that’s limits. Open close shutter only at park position. ?

4 years 11 months ago #37914

Yes park position. Then close would be the norm. But if manually clicked. I can click close and then park to save time. But pack pos. Then close is fine!

4 years 11 months ago #37915

• Thank you received: 2
I'm just checking in on this forum to see what progress has been made. Ron did mention many are switching over to INIDI - I'm one of those! I have a Raspberry Pi with AstroMate running, Nexdome and LX200 Classic 12". Rotates manually, no shutter control or mount sync.
I went back to Win7 with the latest firmware and ASCOM drivers (2.1, 2.11...or whatever it's called) and it's working. The dome rotates VERY slowly though. It was working with th 0.5.2.3 firmware and rotated at a decent speed.....but still Windows.
Are there any beta versions of the firmware out yet? It's been a while since I had a clear sky (I cursed myself buying a new camera!), but spring is here and clearing skies are coming. I'd be happy to test out any new versions when I get some skies - or even a nice day that I can work outside on the dome even if cloudy.

Tom
4 years 11 months ago #37999

You did buy stellarmate as I recommended yes? I thought you had said you did. SURELY start there first.

then next step I THINK is to wait for Tim to finish the new firmware and ascom driver. Jasem will hopefully update the indi driver and we will ALL BE MUCH HAPPIER
The mass (MESS?) of firmware and driver bits out there right now is a nightmare. I just wish Tim could give us some estimate on when he THINKS the new code will be done?

I think really the solution is all waiting on Tim.

MY clear nights to test have vanished = ( LOTS-O-CLOUDS again the past 10 days and doesn't look any better.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Gwilym
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Ron Kramer.
4 years 11 months ago #38002

• Thank you received: 2
Yes, I did buy Stellarmate OS. I did try Astroberry first which was good, but the basic operating system interface was a lot better I thought (network settings....etc).
I haven't messed with it lately, weather has been cloudy, and I just got a n ASI294 camera and rather than adding that to the confusion, I just went back to Windows 7 and ASCOM latest drivers.
I'm running an LX200 Classic 12" and I heard that the firmware wasn't very good with that (at this time) for syncing to that mount. Yeah...one of these days I want to upgrade to a GEM mount, but $$! It is a decent platform for the Orion 80ED refractor.
I did set up Astronomy Linux (the latest 16.04 Ubuntu) on the computer for dual booting INDI for now, but eventually want to go full Raspberry / Stellarmate in the server mode.

Tom
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Tom Gwilym.
4 years 11 months ago #38003

I implemented this today, please test on next update.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Kramer
4 years 11 months ago #38060

Any setting or check box to look for? or just parking mount will park/close shutter?

when you say next update you're referring to the nightly? (so if I update the PI and indi drivers) I will have the update without updating kstars on windows?
I just did install 3.2.0 on windows.

I'm mostly concerned with unsafe weather watcher events - I'd need them to park/CLOSE shutter.
And of course, shut down, CLOSE IT. after a seq.

I did a nightly update to the Pi. Ran kstars on win, loaded the dome and it didn't close during park?
Also it would be best to have a click box "close on park" so it can be overridden. As sometimes we need to park and keep it open.

Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Ron Kramer.
4 years 11 months ago #38076

Time to create page: 0.455 seconds