INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

"auto" auto-guiding

• Thank you received: 223
We currently have auto-focus, which is very good. How about and yes I am aware that the following will require massive dev time and logic, we have "auto" auto-guiding.
Let me explain, finding the right settings for your mount is a pain in the back side, having a logic to find the right settings for auto-guiding would be amazing.
Once you have polar aligned your mount, you just run the automatic auto-guiding, it runs for however long it takes and produce the right values for your mount.
4 years 11 months ago #38136

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic "auto" auto-guiding

PHD2 Guiding Assistant can do this. Perhaps you can run it and copy over some related values into the internal guider.
4 years 11 months ago #38137

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic "auto" auto-guiding

I have just attempted to use PHD2, went through the setup assistant and every time it kills my QHY5 camera it seems that if my atik 314 is online I can't select my QHY5 so I need to no start the Atik.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
4 years 11 months ago #38138

I'm can not comment on the hardware conflicts. But I can say the guiding assistant should be run for some time for best results. Minimum 10min 26 seconds or so for a full worm period. By the end it should report recommendations.
4 years 11 months ago #38140

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic "auto" auto-guiding

Ok so it's all connected, but all I get is 'West step' over and over ....
4 years 11 months ago #38143

Before making use of the guiding assistant, make sure the camera and scope focal length is properly configured and also have it calculate the calibration pulls duration in the brain.
4 years 11 months ago #38144

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic "auto" auto-guiding

I aggreed with your sentiment until I re-read the PHD2 docs. Redo your PHD2 with a setup wizard. It sets up most of the settings according to your mount and guide scope and camera. Use guiding assistant. It will give you min-move values and a couple others for each night you try it because some of these settings like min-move are based on seeing. And yes, let it run for a long time. I noticed my RA drift rate going back to zero after about 5 minutes - ie. it was on the other half cycle of periodic error.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Greg.
4 years 11 months ago #38234

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic "auto" auto-guiding

I was actually discussing a similar thing with a previous GSoC student in KStars. The plan is to use machine learning to improve guiding and also star detection, so with time it would better predict the necessary pulses required to keep the mount guiding RMS to a minimum. There is also the wavelet-based guiding which I never had the time to purse in details as well. Lots of idea and very little time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Micheal Fields
4 years 11 months ago #38253

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds