INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Display difference in rotation between solved image and current FOV

• Thank you received: 4
Hi,

I think rotation with regards to (re-)framing could be improved upon. What I am currently doing:

- Solve an image in the alignment module
- Watch for the resulting angle to appear in the rot field
- Quickly take note before it gets overwritten by the solution of the next capture
- Subtract the values and rotate my imaging train/cmaera by the resulting amount

Sequence Generator Pro and N.I.N.A. both offer a manual focuser, which upon solving and determining the current FOV, prompts the user to rotate the camera by the correct amount. So basically what I am doing manually.

I could do without the prompt , but having the difference in rotation of a solved image and the current FOV in a more permanent fashion would be very nice. I am sitting in front of the screen like a hawk, waiting for the solution before it gets overwritten by the next capture ;)
The same goes for the KStars windows where the solved FOV is only displayed until a new capture is solved. Being able to have a permanent FOV indicator for the manually loaded and solved image woudl be nice, too.

Or is my approach wrong and the information I am looking for is somewhere else? At least I didn't get any replies on my query here: indilib.org/forum/general/5933-re-framing-and-rotating.html

Thanks
Sven
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 4 months ago #45449

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
So is your goal here :

1. To use the "load and slew"functionality of Ekos to tell it to load an image, go to that image, and tell the user how far to rotate the camera as a goal and then provide feedback as to how far right and left they have to rotate it until it matches.

2. To have an algorithm to set a target orientation for the Camera to be in and then to plate solve and manually make adjustments until it matches the target orientation..

or

3. To just display the difference between which way it thought the camera was oriented compared to how it is really oriented based on a plate solve?

or is it something else. . .
4 years 4 months ago #45455

It is 1.

Or even simpler: add another edit box which displays the difference in degrees between the last image that had been solved using "load and slew" and the last image that has been taken by the alignment module (as there is no way to prevent another image taken anyway when using "load and slew").

The other way would be to add a radiobox "solve only" so the user can just load and solve, without ekos trying to actually get there. That at least would remove the timing component out of reading the rotation.

I have just been looking at the alignment module code, it seems there is support for rotators, so I guess it would also possible just to have an INDI-driver implementing a manual focuser, prompting the user to rotate?

Sven
4 years 4 months ago #45456

So Ekos supports both in a way. The requirement is to first solve an image before any of this can be set. I just tried this live with my home observatory. I had to fix a couple of minor issues that will be in KStars v3.3.7 due very soon (tomorrow or Thursday).

In the first part of the video, you can see I set rotation to 20 degrees E of N (it was 4.7). Then after solving the image, you can see the orientation reported by astrometry matches what we requested.

In the second part, I am currently at 20 E of N, and I "Load & Slew" an image I captured while the rotator was at 4.7 E of N.. so it solved the image, and then it rotated to 4.7 as expected, and it solved again to make sure we are indeed there at that location and orientation.
4 years 4 months ago #45462
Attachments:

rotator.mp4

Hi Jasem,

I do not know how to apply that routine for my use case. I understand that you use a motorized rotator? I have to rotate manually, i.e. loosen the clamping of drawtube or camera, rotate and tighten again.
Ekos ideally should prompt me how to rotate, let me acknowledge when finished, check against a new capture and reiterate until within a given deviation.

Here is the procedure SGP implements using a Manual Rotator as a device: www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/ManualRotator.html
Sven
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by freiform.
4 years 4 months ago #45479

• Thank you received: 226
This got me thinking it would be neat if the align module displayed a refreshable overlay of a few star positions that correspond to a position and rotation to match a solved image or desired orientation in degrees.

I'm thinking manually matching 3 or 4 stars within small targets would get you pretty close.
4 years 4 months ago #45517

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

Any update on this point ?
I'm also interested by this feature. If it's not planned or done I will develop it.

Julien
3 years 7 months ago #58733

• Thank you received: 140

You made the same post five times, you have to wait for it to be moderated, as it’s your first... :)
3 years 7 months ago #58735

AFAIK, no one is working on this now it would be great if you can work on it!
3 years 7 months ago #58753

• Thank you received: 0
Hi Jasem,

For the moment I've added a label with a ro lineEdit for testing.
Can we talk about this feature ?

Julien
3 years 6 months ago #58983

Time to create page: 0.658 seconds