INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pop-Up Windows show up in KSTARS Desktop instead of EKOS Desktop

• Thank you received: 17
I was shown how to have KSTARS and EKOS windows opened in separate Desktops on my Rpi4. I t is a setting option in KSTARS Config - EKOS to have EKOS open in an "independent window." The reason this is useful is because I switch back and forth between KSTARS (to slew the mount) and EKOS (to program the image scheduler) and if they are in the same Desktop one (KSTARS or EKOS) is always on top of the other and you have to use a mouse to move one over to see the other. If they are in separate Desktops, you just change Desktop to move from one to the other.

The issue, I am bringing up, comes from the fact that: there are "Pop-Up" windows associated with EKOS that need to be responded to for an action to take place. For example: if you choose to stop polar alignment mid procedure (because the mount is rotating to hit something or the solve is not working) a "Pop-Up" window asks "Do you really want to stop Polar Alignment?" and you have to answer "yes" or "no." Unfortunately, this "Pop-Up" windows shows up in the KSTARS Desktop instead of the EKOS Desktop (obviously only if you have them in separate Desktops). And if you don't know that the "Pop-Up" is in the other Desktop you don't see it and you cannot take any other action in EKOS until that question is satisfied.

So my request (the long winded version) is to locate the "Pop-Up" windows with the appropriate module (KSTARS or EKOS - I don't know if there are any associated with KSTARS as I have not run into one there), so they are immediately visible depending upon which module you are currently in.

thanks,
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
4 years 2 months ago #48266

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
Adding to that: even when Ekos and KStars are on the same desktop, the Ekos-related pop up windows appear in the KStars window so you have to minimize Ekos to be able to click them.

Wouter
4 years 2 months ago #48267

I should also add that I found you can hide and unhide the KSTARS or EKOS windows by using 'right-click' in the margin and then select roll up/down. So my statement above is not quite accurate. I assume this works to be able to see the KSTARS "Pop-Up" windows behind EKOS, I have not tried that. But it is another way to move from one to the other.

Ron
4 years 2 months ago #48277

And I have to contradict myself yet again. Tonight I am running the ASTROBERRY SERVER on my RPI-4 from a desktop with a larger screen than my usual laptop. So I filled the larger screen by selecting, in the left side pull out menu, Settings/Scalling Mode: - Local Scaling and then expanded to full screen so the Astroberry Server desktop fills the screen. In this mode I can flip between KSTARS on top or EKOS on top just by clicking in the margin! Both layers are set to 'Normal' (as they always have been). Previously, when using my desktop with less than a full screen I don't believe I was able to do this. In this mode I can also minimize either KSTARS or EKOS to the Task Bar. In previous operation, when I minimized one I minimized the other.

I don't know whether it is me or if the program behaves differently depending on how the screen is configured. Perhaps I will try the other configuration so see if I can repeat how it behaved, for me, previously.

I am not sure this invalidates having the Pop-Up screens show up on top of the operating module that called them (another condition to check), but it certainly makes it easier to access them.

Ron
4 years 2 months ago #48278

OK, a little more understanding. What makes the difference (it is obvious now) is if you run EKOS in an independent window. The windows then act naturally (well at least as I expect). I suspect this is where the Pop-Up window issue came from, in this mode of operation you cannot get to the Pop-up window without looking behind the EKOS window.

Ron
4 years 2 months ago #48280

And when you run them in independent windows, on the same desktop, the Pop-Up Window comes up directly in view from EKOS. So from my perspective this is the preferred display.
Left slide out setting Scaling Mode - Local Scaling, Full Screen, EKOS in independent window, and both EKOS and KSTARS on the same desktop.

So the only issue is if you move KSTARS to a different desktop from EKOS, then you have to go look for the Pop-Up window where KSTARS is.

Ron
4 years 2 months ago #48284

• Thank you received: 133
Yes, the window hierarchy is sometimes a bit weird. I'm using a big screen, and typically have the KStars window behind the EKOS one (shifted down by the window menu bar height so I can easily raise KStars in front by clicking there, if needed). There are some dialog windows that, when activated, automatically put the main KStars window in front...
4 years 2 months ago #48365

Time to create page: 1.004 seconds