INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI Driver for SVBONY cameras

• Thank you received: 16
Blaise,

I'm not a previous user of Ekos LiveView, but I think there may be issues. Using a field spotting scope with the camera in daytime, I got reasonable FITS images in the preview viewer. However, clicking live view gave me a dark gray screen. I know something was going on, because I could point the camera at the daytime sky and get a brighter gray and a complete dark with the cap on the camera. The SER file I received seemed very grainy and the resolution was not as set (1080P) as seen here in a SER header display from SER Player:
Header Details:
* FileId: LUCAM-RECORDER
* LuID: 0
* ColorID: 9 (GRBG)
* LittleEndian: 1
* ImageWidth: 960
* ImageHeight: 540
* PixelDepth: 16
* FrameCount: 37
* Observer: Unknown Observer
* Instrument: Unknown Instrument
* Telescope: Unknown Telescope
* DateTime: 28/05/0120 11:06:31.862589 (0x85de096a193462)
* DateTime_UTC: 28/06/2020 15:06:31.862603 (0x8d81b74d780d4ee)

I am not used to working with SER files, but may stack them later in Siril to see if anything more encouraging appears.

At this time, I am willing to "guess" that liveview is not working properly. I did play with gain and exposure duration with no obvious result. Although, changes to gain made significant impact to preview images.

*UPDATE*
I stacked the SER images in Siril and got nothing usable. It is possible I had the gain up too far when I made the SER video. Note, I am not willing to rule out "pilot error" with regard to these results. As I said, I am not used to SER video files. We may have a brief period of clear sky this evening. If so, I'll try again with the telescope.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Jon Carleton.
3 years 8 months ago #56170
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 31
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your tests. It really helps.

As already said, I'm not an Ekos expert.
I think using live view for capture is a miss usage.

Live view uses a "stream manager". The INDI API says :

<<
16bit frames are only supported in some recorders. You can send 16bit frames, but they will be downscaled to 8bit when necessary for streaming and recording purposes.
>>

<<
By default, the full image width and height are used for transmitting the data.
>>

In my mind, live view is for :

- live FOV corrections
- fast manual focus

It's a kind of "fast preview".

Then, you program a shooting plan and start it.
Then you process all your fits images

Am I wrong Knro ?

For pure planetary imaging, a would use AstroDmx instead of Ekos.
I think Ekos is more "DSO imaging" oriented.

In live view, you have to toggle the "bayer button" to get the frames. I don't know why. I asked to Knro. Exposure time is also much shorter.
But you're right, live view needs more work.

Best regards !

Blaise
3 years 8 months ago #56181
I just tested the driver on x86 32 bits.

It works as expected.

For the "live view", I think I will disable the feature until really understand what I'm doing.

Best regards.

Blaise
3 years 8 months ago #56183
Blaise,

Good to know (and clearly, I did not). My primary use of live view is focus and alignment, but toggling the bayer button would not have jumped to mind as a method to enable the frames. I did play with the frames per second settings in the hope of getting an image, but that didn't help.

There is, of course, great value in knowing what a rank amateur or otherwise inept operator would do with a particular piece of software. I am pleased to provide that service. :)
3 years 8 months ago #56184

Currently, there is no sure way a client can learn that the incoming stream is Mono or Bayered. Some cameras (like ZWO) can send in Mono, RGB24, or Bayered. The way Ekos tells the difference between between mono/bayer and RGB24 is by size. I suppose maybe there is a possibility to change the format from the generic .stream or .stream_rgb24 or .stream_bayer ...etc. but this needs some where and also updated documentation. We can't break backward compatibility as well.
3 years 8 months ago #56222
Hello,

@Jon, you're far from being an inept operator ;-)

In France, we talk about "monkey testing". I don't know if you have something equivalent in USA ;-)

Thanks for your help.

This bayer toggle button issue could be a bug.

@knro

When building and running my driver for the i386 target, I use INDI 1.7.6 (the last one available for 32 bit, right ?), and "live view" works as expected :
- grey frame by default
- color frame when toggling the button

When building and running with INDI 1.8.5 :
- no frames by default
- color frame when toggling the button

I use the same Ekos client in each case :

INDI 1.7.6 :
- server in a virtual machine, ubuntu 18.04 i386 (indi 1.7.6)
- Ekos client on the host, ubuntu 18.04 amd64 (indi 1.8.5)

INDI 1.8.5 :
- server and Ekos client on the same host, ubuntu 18.04 amd64

Am I doing something wrong, or could it be a regression ?
Or something to do with 32/64 bits ?

I made 2 temporary debian packages, for easier testing, for i386 and amd64 targets

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hFZUCZle...Tnz77kb2?usp=sharing

Best regards !

Blaise
3 years 8 months ago #56290
Quote: thx8411
@Jon, you're far from being an inept operator ;-)

In France, we talk about "monkey testing". I don't know if you have something equivalent in USA ;-)
::

Oh good, I have you fooled!

I don't know of a specific term for your "monkey testing," but we do have a few dozen terms that are similar (and probably even less polite). One that comes to mind is the ever-popular "ID-ten-T error" (ID10T).

I am pleased to see that you were able to duplicate my results.
3 years 8 months ago #56293
Blaise,

I see there has been quite a bit of activity on GITHUB. Anything specific you'd like me to test yet?

...and by the way...thank you for all the effort!
3 years 8 months ago #56374
Hello Jon !

Sorry, I was a bit busy these days.

I didn't change the code itself, but I worked on the "packaging".

You're right, Knro merged the driver in the 3rdparty upstream.
I hope the automated process will build without issues.

Sorry, nothing new to test at this time, except the debian package generation/installation.

I think about how to improve the live view.

I need your advice.
What's your opinion :

- should I keep the live view as is, full frame + color by default ?
- or should I stream a 2x2 binning mono frame by default ?

Best regards !

PS : In France, we had bad days about COVID 19, but things are getting better. I am bit worried concerning the US. Are you OK ? Take care.
3 years 8 months ago #56379
Blaise,
The best default resolution for the 305 is RGB24. And, it isn't an expensive camera, so the target user is probably not loaded up with filters and filter wheels. So, I'd program to the masses. Keep it color (just an opinion).

Don't worry too much about what our media reports. We have had a rise in cases since reopening businesses, especially in dense population areas, but we have also increased testing so comparisons have to be judged carefully. My "gut" tells me there is at least a spot increase in cases. Time will tell.

For myself, I live in a very tiny town on a farm in the woods. My contact risk is very minimal. I am retired, so I don't HAVE to go out. My greatest exposure is from gyroplane instruction that I do part-time when I feel like it. My students are pretty careful to keep me safe, as there aren't many gyroplane instructors in the US,
3 years 8 months ago #56388
Hello Jon,

Thanks for your advice.

SVBony sent my an email. They will soon give me the new SDK, with the new SV305 Pro and raspberry support.

Sorry, out of topic, but your living place description sounds to my ears like paradise ! I live in Paris suburbs. The house is pretty, with a nice garden, but the DisneyLand Paris lights are right in the FOV
of my telescope ! I mostly work at home since march (covid confinement). At office 1 day/week. I use my car instead of the subway, to avoid the contamination.

Part time Gyroplane instructor ? What a great job ! Glad to know your are healthy.

Best regards,

Blaise
3 years 8 months ago #56424
Blaise,

Quick story about where I live: I spend most of my life in big cities, so when I decided to move to a rural area (Northwest Georgia), I flew my plane on a dark night and looked for the biggest area of unpopulated dark property I could spot, marked it on my chart, and the next days transferred the coordinates to a land map and told a realtor to "find me something in this red circle." Been here ever since.

Some folks I know in the UK have just received the SVBONY SDK and it is alleged to have all the armh 32/64 support. Very encouraging.
3 years 8 months ago #56434
Time to create page: 0.531 seconds