INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Desperately needed feature: better guide star loss recovery.

• Thank you received: 370
The new feature is available for testing from my KStars copy on branch feature_realign_after_guiding_failure.

I am currently merging the two options for guiding failure and guiding calibration failure into a single one. This update will be available in a couple of hours.

Wolfgang
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
3 years 8 months ago #58330

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

OK, now the feature is available for testing. It can be controlled by a single option that is valid both for calibration errors and guiding errors:

Its available on my KStars fork on invent.kde.org/wreissenberger/kstars.git from branch <strong>feature_realign_after_guiding_failure</strong>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, alacant
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger. Reason: Screenshot corrected
3 years 8 months ago #58338
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 94
Thanks Wolfgang. This is one of the missing pieces of my automation jigsaw. I'll test it asap.

Question: Would it be possible for ea-align to include when the guide star jumps out of the box? e.g.
[2020-08-17T22:29:21.703 CEST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - "findGuideStar found a star at 205.0, 103.5 but it is outside the tracking box"

This can sometimes happen after a dither and can displace the image quite a bit. It would be great if we could re-align on this too.

TIA, clear skies,
Steve

EDIT: Maybe the question should be, 'should we abort when the star is outside the tracking box?'
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by alacant.
3 years 8 months ago #58353

• Thank you received: 139
I suppose a good way to test this is to put your hand in front of the guide scope for a minute, and then take it away to see what happens.
3 years 8 months ago #58355

• Thank you received: 69
Think I saw some conversation that "Guiding Calibration Failure" and "Guiding Failure" might be rolled into a single checkbox.

Was it decided to do that?
3 years 8 months ago #58357

Yepp, it will be one single checkbox. I updated my post from last night, which contained the wrong screenshot.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger. Reason: Hint about updated screenshot added
3 years 8 months ago #58359

This is not that easy since re-aligning is bound to a certain guiding event - currently GUIDE_CALIBRATION_ERROR or GUIDE_ABORTED. A guiding star outside of the tracking box leads to GUIDE_REACQUIRE (if it happens a certain number in a row).

Would not that be an overreaction? I would appreciate leaving the decision to the guiding module how to handle such cases. If it gives up in terms of GUIDE_CALIBRATION_ERROR or GUIDE_ABORTED, then it's up to the scheduler now to react.
3 years 8 months ago #58360

Hi
Unfortunately, no change here. The option still lists only calibration:

git log
commit b1a7f2137ea1d4ad8741247312257a3560770137 (HEAD -> feature_realign_after_guiding_failure, origin/feature_realign_after_guiding_failure)
Author: Wolfgang Reissenberger <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Date: Mon Aug 17 20:59:33 2020 +0200

Reduced to one single option for re-aligning after guiding or calibration errors

3 years 8 months ago #58392
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 69
I've not checked the code, but perhaps just the Info text was not updated, maybe just check that last checkbox to enable both.
3 years 8 months ago #58393

Hi

Could be, but I see it in Wofgang's screenshot here .

Cheers
3 years 8 months ago #58394

Just checked it, my latest build looks like this:
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
3 years 8 months ago #58396
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 109
Perhaps a silly question, but if you just compiled from git, do you have 2 versions installed and still running the older one, not the fresh one?
3 years 8 months ago #58401

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds