INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Cache DSS overlay images

• Thank you received: 226
How feasible would be to cache some, or even all levels of DSS images for the overlay for offline use? I would like to have a way to pre-cache down to a specified level of detail filtered down for all regions of the sky visible from a specified latitude. Does anybody know how much storage would it require for each level of detail?
3 years 5 months ago #61322

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

There is a cache already, but I've done this so long ago I forgot the details. Try increasing the cache size and see if that helps?
3 years 5 months ago #61329

Replied by Andrew on topic Cache DSS overlay images

Thank you for your quick reply.
I am aware of KStars caching some DSS imagery up to a specified amount. However this is predicated on previously loading an area of interest by visiting it in the sky map, and it not being dropped when the cache is full. What I am wishing for is a means to pre-load large swaths of sky automatically at a quality specified by the user based on their needs and storage allowance. I'm thinking the ability to get the data could be included in the KStars Add-On Installer, or a script that builds the collection from the DSS server.
3 years 5 months ago #61334

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Euripides on topic Cache DSS overlay images

That would be any amazing feature!
1 year 11 months ago #81964

Offline storage of DSS images is still on my wishlist. Something more reliable than the existing cache, which is constantly over writing it's contents.
Perhaps a tool that can be run that will fetch images around specific targets of interest? Like how Google Maps can cache an area for offline use.
1 year 11 months ago #82014

I found out this feature is in development. Which is fantastic! I've already been playing around with it. But seems there are a few issues to iron out. Good thing I don't have epilepsy!
There are a few glitches in the rendering. The flickering sometimes happens when I zoom in a lot then hit an arrow key to pan the view. I noticed sometimes the view doesn't update until I pan that way, but the flickering is only when very zoomed in. The background scale also doesn't always match the zoom level.
Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
1 year 11 months ago #82526

Thank you for the report, I pushed some fixes to master to mitigate some of these issues.
1 year 11 months ago #82537

This is already much better. Thank you.

I took it upon myself to try adjusting the rendering levels. I appear to get improved performance by setting int level = 2, minfov = 60, minfov /= 3. That seems to work well with only level 3 and 5 available and doesn't try to load too much level 3 detail at once. But that should probably only be changed when offline cache is used. So that might be worth considering. It might also be a worthwhile to have Level 2 images in the cache as well.
I should also mention I'm testing this on a Pi4 8gb with a USB3 SSD system drive, so the read speed are about as good as it can be on a Pi4 B+.
Thanks again.
1 year 11 months ago #82562

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds