INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Manual Rotator - Plate solve - Angle of rotation

• Thank you received: 4
Fantastic! Thank you, this is exactly what I needed!
3 years 3 months ago #65453

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
This is great, thank you! This would solve most of the issues with manual rotation and give the user the ability to reduce rotational errors. Just one thing to mention

1.Once the rotation is complete and within tolerance, it would be necessary to check the image center and plate solve again to ensure the user didn't accidentally move the center point. This happens at times and causes the image to shift in the horizontal or vertical directions. [plate solve steps would be : Solve the loaded image send reference co-ordinates and rotation to Ekos --> calculate deviation and center the image and slew to target and be within required accuracy. --> Check rotation and report required rotation [as per your video] --> Once the rotation is within tolerance ---> Plate solve to check center of image and reslew to center and be within tolerance.
90mm APO
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO 290MM
ZWO183MM, QHY 183C
Pegasus PPB
ZWO ASI EAF
RPi4 Astroberry
3 years 3 months ago #65460

• Thank you received: 120
Each click of "Take a new image" does a plate solve (it's how we check the rotation). It will ensure we are centered every time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matteo Gaetan, Vinodh Ravi
3 years 3 months ago #65466

• Thank you received: 5
This is a great feature! Thanks for adding it. I take it that it is working with the load and slew option? I could see this being very useful even when you haven’t taken an image yet. So early in the day, you’re trying to figure out which target for the evening, and how you want it to look in your field of view. It would be great to save the target and the angle you want in Kstars. Then the rotate window is able to help get you framed correctly.

Just a thought. Again, thanks this really helps!
3 years 3 months ago #65481

Yeah, this is just for load and slew, which I think gets most of the use case covered. I know when I'm first framing something, I usually just use the preview in the Capture module to get the framing I want. Matching an exact rotation for me is only really needed when coming back to a target.
3 years 3 months ago #65483

You make a good point. Thanks again.
3 years 3 months ago #65484

As you mentioned with the load and slew option most of the use case will be covered. The feature described by Croz is a powerful feature that is available in NINA preview. Prior to moving to kstars I used NINA and the framing assistant did this. I used this extensively to reduce the no. of panels required when planning a mosaic. My workflow was:
1. during the day I entered the coordinates or the target I wanted to image and press the load button and the target was loaded on the right hand side.
The box over the image represented the sensor field of view. (note the image source on the top had the option of loading a file and plate solving similar to what feature that we are looking at)
2. On the target section the user can add panels and set the rotation required. The is particularly helpful as it allows me to reduce the number of panels required.
3. Once I am happy with the panels I press add target to scheduler (sequencer in NINA) and panel one and two are send to the sequencer where the no of light frames and dithering and autofocus etc. can be selected similar to kstars.
In my astroclub this is a typical workflow for most users.

Framing live as you have mentioned is no issue, but sometime time consuming when you include setup, pack up manual rotation and manual filter change etc..

But.. thanks heaps for working on this feature this will solve a lot of issues for users like me and increase our imaging time.
90mm APO
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO 290MM
ZWO183MM, QHY 183C
Pegasus PPB
ZWO ASI EAF
RPi4 Astroberry
3 years 3 months ago #65486
Attachments:

Yeah, that is a nice feature. I've used something similar in SGP in the past. I think the mosaic/observation planner in general could use some TLC, but wanted to get this out as a simple feature.
3 years 3 months ago #65491

Absolutely agree, thanks again ! :)
90mm APO
HEQ5 Pro
ZWO 290MM
ZWO183MM, QHY 183C
Pegasus PPB
ZWO ASI EAF
RPi4 Astroberry
3 years 3 months ago #65492

Is this feature in the nightly build? I'm using the stable version and I have the rotation option to check, but nothing happens afterwards. I'm guessing this might be added in the future?
3 years 3 months ago #65514

This has not made it into the nightly build yet. I posted the video to get some acceptance from the community on the feature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Remco Hekker
3 years 3 months ago #65515

This looks very interesting. I am eager to give it a whirl if it makes it into the nightly build. Any idea when that might be?
3 years 3 months ago #65868

Time to create page: 2.597 seconds