INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Manual Rotator - Plate solve - Angle of rotation

• Thank you received: 5
I’ve been following along with the video that you posted above. I can’t seem to get the window to appear that shows the angle and rotation cw or ccw . I am on the nightly build.
3 years 2 months ago #65967

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 120
You need to make sure the Rotator option is checked in the alignment options:

Also, if the rotation error is less than the threshold set in the alignment options, the popup won't show (since you are within the threshold).
3 years 2 months ago #65972
Attachments:

Yes, I’ve checked this and double checked! I have adjusted the threshold up and down. And change the rotation under the CCD simulator. I’m using 100% simulators right now. And I’m using the load and slew.
3 years 2 months ago #65974

The only thing I can think of then is that you don't have the latest build. What is the build date in the About KStars dialog?
3 years 2 months ago #65975

Not sure why but it seem to be set on stable. I had set it to Beta before. After selecting it again I got the update and can see what you see. Thanks.
3 years 2 months ago #65978

• Thank you received: 0
I'm new to INDI KSTARS/EKOS but have used many other Windows products in the past including SGP. When I plan a session, I've already figured out the exact center coordinates and rotation based on my equipment to frame the target. All of that work is done during the day. I don't like spending precious dark time fiddling around with framing. That being said, it would be very nice to allow me to manually enter a "Target" rotation along with target coordinates into the Align dialog screen and then pop up the same manual rotation dialog after image capture based on that target number when I'm using "capture and solve". So far, I've only been aloe to get the manual rotation dialog if I solve to an existing FITS image using Load and Slew. Great if I already have an image but initially, I don't.

I may be overlooking something that allows me to do that... If so, please point me in the right direction.

thanks,
1 year 6 months ago #86629

There is no way now to enter target position angle (PA) in the align module. The closest thing you can do is to create a 1x1 panel mosaic where you can control the exact PA required and then start the schedule job with this value.
1 year 6 months ago #86651

• Thank you received: 72
Hi Keith
I'm currently working on a refactor of the rotator control. The tests so far are promising and my approach is already functional, but there is still some labor to do.

This is the pop up UI you can open in module "Capture". It will stay in foreground and the gauge displays a preview of the state of the rotator. If you don't close it you can see the rotation in real time.
I don't know if this approach is in your sense. Perhaps you can explain a bit further what's your idea?
1 year 6 months ago #86654
Attachments:

Another option for generating a fits file to solve is using a website like mosaic.darkdragons.space/. It will generate an artificial star field you can use as a "solve and slew" image.
1 year 6 months ago #86658

• Thank you received: 8
Hi
I'm highly interested in having Ekos helping me to set the correct rotation angle of my camera. So far I do this completely manually with Plate Solving which has some traps and problems.

That's how I do it currently:
- Load & Slew Image (image from a previous night)
loop until CameraAngleIsCorrect
- Check the plate solve overlay (the rectangular camera FOV) in KStars and estimate the angle that I need to rotate my camera, I have no rotator so rotating for me means manually turning the camera
- Plate Solve again
endLoop

The problem with my approach is that KStars is 'messed up' with a lot of plate solve overlays and I usually loose the overview of which is the most current overlay of a solved image (if the angles of the overlays are having small differences only, it's difficult to see which overlay is the most current one). So I usually disconnect all devices, stop Ekos, exit KStars and restart them all again, this clears all the Plate Solve overlays in KStars. Maybe I'm not aware of an easy way keep the most current FOV overlay only.

The solution which I would consider as brilliant is the approach from Rick (see: www.indilib.org/forum/wish-list/8441-man...-rotation.html#65441). If this could be implemented in way that people without an electronic camera rotator could also use it easily, I think this would be perfect.

----
Avalon EvoZero Mount
QHYCCD600C@Sigma 135mm, f/2.8
QHY-5LII@WilliamOptions 50mm GuideScope
Pegasus FocusCube2, Pegasus PowerBox v2
Astroberry@PI4 server / Macbook Pro M1 client
1 year 6 months ago #86659

• Thank you received: 0
Rick... the mosaic planner site is definitely an option I'll try. I thought about a tool like that yesterday but have not had a chance to really look for one.

It would still be nice if a future update to the software allowed you to plug in the target coordinates and rotation and then solve to that info without having to do it via the scheduler.

thanks to everyone for the replies.
1 year 6 months ago #86660

• Thank you received: 72
Actually there is no need to use the mosaic planner if you want make simple captures: Just go to "Capture" module, got to the desired object or location in the planetarium, check the rotation with FOV and save the job in a sequence. Later on you can activate the sequence automatically with module "Scheduler".
That's what I was trying to say in my post two days ago.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Toni Schriber.
1 year 5 months ago #86761

Time to create page: 4.210 seconds