INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Add "Center Object (Platesolve)" after xx exposures to capture module

• Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

it would be nice to have an automatic platesolve option after xx exposures in the capture module. This would be extremely helpful when doing short exposure time astrophotography without guiding and less accurate polar alignment with mediocre or bad goto mounts. Even though it is possible to dither (extremely helpful option!) without guiding an automatic recentering of the desired target after an amount of exposures would prevent the object from drifting out of the frame (when the mount is not properly polar aligned). The Recenter Target option would also helpful when doing live stacking

regards
Heiner
3 years 2 months ago #65931

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
I imagine you could get the result you desire with repeating scheduler jobs, as the next (identical) scheduler job could align at the start.
I've never tested this to make sure there are no gotcha's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heiner Hückstädt
3 years 2 months ago #65944

• Thank you received: 0
as far as i can see this looks promising. I must admit, the scheduler was out of my focus, since i never used it before.

thanks
3 years 2 months ago #65960

• Thank you received: 41
Another case use for the suggested "Center Object after XX exposures" will be to cope with bad behaved mounts. I'm using an old EQ5 with OnStep GOTO system attached. Sometimes, the mount "jumps" in Dec 2" or 3" without a reason (I'm begin to believe that is poor stability on the tripod/mount head combo). Between those jumps the tracking and guiding is reasonable for my image scale, but If I let the telescope unattended I usually end with a collection of perfectly tracked frames that will be drifting in Dec during the session. If you add that I'm using a small chip camera.... some sessions are completely unusable because I end keeping 60% or 50% of the field of view.

With this "Center Object after xx exposures", my chances to use all the frames will increase a lot :)
3 years 2 months ago #66115

• Thank you received: 226
rbarberac: That sounds like differential flexure, and or mirror-flop to me.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Andrew.
3 years 2 months ago #66121

• Thank you received: 41
I’m not sure: very short tube (85/600) and compact guidescope (50/200), so it’s not clear for me that is differential flexure. Also it will be more or less continuously and not jumps.

Other clue that make me think about problems with the mount is that if after Rutea sporting it I apply a lot of weight to the mount to “bring it down”, the jumps almost disappear.

I know, I know this is not the usual astrophotographers profile, but I’m only trying to define a use case in which this option will be useful for amateurs that’s like me, only have an introductory equipment ;)
3 years 2 months ago #66123

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds