INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Customize fits header with ekos information

• Thank you received: 16
Hi all,

I really like the new(.ish) Analyze tab in Ekos. It lets me view capture information for every single sub, just by clicking on the sub. Great.
What I would like is to save some of this information in the image fits header, especially the guide rms for that sub. Since cmos cameras allow short exposures, but LOTS of them, many of them may need to be excluded from stacking if for example, guiding is bad. For example, today I had clear skies but with gusts of wind that affected guiding. I would like to be able to exclude subs from the stack that have poor guiding statistics. For this, it is necessary to save the relevant information in the image fits header. In the capture tab, it is already possible to add customized labels to the fits header, and maybe the guide rms for the sub could be added?

Stay healthy, and clear skies,
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Wim van Berlo.
3 years 1 week ago #68854

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I understand the need for access to the rms values but I don't understand why "it is necessary to save the relevant information in the image fits header". Is there any image processing application that can use that information? If yes, which? Why isn't it sufficient to have that info in a separate file, e.g. a KStars log file, and process that separately from the images? Just wondering. Once again, I see the need for access to the rms values.
3 years 1 week ago #68858

• Thank you received: 301
One can also drop the frame when guiding is "bad" directly from the Capture module. Although I think there is room for improvement in the way this is managed. Feel free to comment on this, I will be designing a pipeline for FITS frames at some point (hfr analysis, solving, that sort of stuff).

-Eric
3 years 1 week ago #68875

The data could be saved in a log file, but imo, it is better saved in the fits header. This way, you are always sure which data goes with which image. For instance, I keep a session's images in a directory on my ekos computer. At the end of the session, I ftp the files to my laptop for processing. If there are duplicate names (files from previous sessions) I may rename the image files. This would corrupt any link to data in a log file. And yes, the file name could contain the timestamp to make it unique. But that would force one to use a file name with a time stamp in it.
As I don't sit with my computer while a sequence is running, I can't reject images as they come in. I want the possibility to do this just before image preprocessing. To me it just seems more straight forward to keep image information in the image header file.
A customizable image header with information relevant to the image is the preferred solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
3 years 1 week ago #68901

• Thank you received: 301

Specifically, this is what the guiding deviation feature in the Capture module is doing for you. Aborting an exposure when its guiding quality is higher than a threshold, and restarting when it is lower than a second threshold.

Thanks for the other points.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wim van Berlo
3 years 1 week ago #68913

Ok. I always thought it aborted the sequence when guiding was over the limit. Good to know it only stops the sequence. I will try that.
3 years 1 week ago #68953

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds