INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Wish List: Auto sync to recover lost focuser position.

• Thank you received: 226
I would like to have the last focus position logged and the option to automatically sync it upon loading INDI. This should help when the focuser is not parked between sessions, or in the event KStars has crashed causing the position to revert to zero. The assumption being that the focuser was left in focus, but will still need the flexibility to move inwards that would otherwise be prevented by the default 0 position. Currently I would need to manually enter an arbitrary number of steps to sync to. Furthermore accurate step positions across sessions is necessary for a focuser characterization tool previously discussed.
Thank You.
2 years 10 months ago #72128

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Are you using an absolute focuser? the position should stay as is. If it just KStars crashing and not INDI server, the it shouldn't change at all.
2 years 10 months ago #72146

I am using a DIY focuser built on the waveshare stepper motor hat. And I don't have encoders. Is this a feature that needs to be handled in the driver?
2 years 10 months ago #72148

Right it should be handled at the driver level. Btw, if you run KStars, why don't you always connect to INDI server as "remote"? Even if it is on the same machine. If you have INDI Web Manager installed, then just check "Remote" and "INDI Web Manager". This way if KStars crashes, it doesn't take down INDI server with it and you can simply re-connect and continue.
2 years 10 months ago #72150

That's an interesting idea. I should try that. And I'll ask the Waveshare focuser developer about adding this redundancy. Thank you.
2 years 10 months ago #72244

"Btw, if you run KStars, why don't you always connect to INDI server as "remote"? Even if it is on the same machine. If you have INDI Web Manager installed, then just check "Remote" and "INDI Web Manager". This way if KStars crashes, it doesn't take down INDI server with it and you can simply re-connect and continue."

EKOS is already able to recognize when an instance of the INDI server is still running after a KStars crash. We're given the option to stop and restart INDI or ignore it. Why not have an option to take back control of it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Andrew.
2 years 10 months ago #72301

• Thank you received: 301
Agreed, we should look into that. Killing the running indiserver doesn't succeed on first attempt with Atik drivers for instance.

-Eric
2 years 10 months ago #72311

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds