Have you got the correct solver indexes installed to suit the simulator telescope settings? I had trouble because of this, on my first try with StellarSolver. After I changed the simulator telescope settings to match those of my imaging set up and the index files I had installed it worked perfectly.

Alan

Read More...

Rob,
Yes I see that, I have seen the message when I did have all the relevant indexes installed. Also what you have said explains why I found if I was slightly over generous when downloading the index files with Astronomy.net, the solving speeds actually improved. On a good night a first solve of 15 to 20 seconds and subsequent solves in 8 to 12 seconds. I wonder if the message could be made more of a basic / some type of prompt to check the installed index files, rather than just fail. It would act as a guide or starting point to sorting the issue of a failed solve.

By the way, we had the first clear night here for a few weeks last night and the new StellarSolver in KSTARS worked great right from the off, not a single failed solve during the session.

Many thanks

Alan

Read More...

Rob,
I just updated my Raspberry Pi to the latest KSARS using the AstroPi3 script with the new StellarSolver. During testing with the simulators I kept getting failed to solve errors. I eventually realised that the reason for the failure was I had only downloaded the relevant index files for my 80mm x 500mm FL imaging setup, the default simulator scope setup at 120mm x 900mm FL would not solve as the relevant index files were not present. On the Astronomy.net solver it would flash a warning that the index files were missing. Would it be possible to add the warning message to StellarSolver? It may help out newcomers to resolve any setup issues.

I must say once I had changed the simulator telescope settings to match those of my imaging setup, it worked flawlessly on both GSC and uploaded images, very nice work indeed.

Many Thanks

Alan

Read More...

Finally I have this solved. After an update to the Raspberry Pi 4 B, I encountered the usual issues with things not connecting or dropping out and my Atik 428 Mono just would not connect if I had the focuser plugged into the USB hub. After several hours of connecting one device at a time and swopping USB leads etc, I realised the issue was with the Addon 5 volt powered 7 way USB 3 hub. I switched the hub for an Anker 12 volt powered 13 way USB 3 hub, problem solved. Now I have good connectivity INDI finds all the devices without any input from me, there's less noise in the images and the line has completely disappeared. After so many reports on this forum about USB hubs and their suitability, it should have been the first place I looked.

I hope this helps someone else solve their issue.

Please note even if the hub appears to work from a connection point of view, it may not be working correctly for all your devices.

Alan



Read More...

I use that driver modified to suit my home modified ZWO manual filter wheel, I use a small 4 wire stepper & a DRV 8825 stepper driver board with a Hall Effect Switch that I had originally developed for an ASCOM setup. I just reprogrammed the Arduino to use the sketch modified to suit my home tweaked filter wheel based on the XAGYL protocol works faultlessly, with the indi XAGYL driver, just make sure the capacitor modification to the reset pin on the Arduino is fitted and you’ll have no issues.

Regards

Alan

Read More...

Jaq,

I would use the home WiFi initially, the hotspot on the Pi4 can be a bit weak at times.
To get it all working and ensure good connectivity in the first instance use a network cable if you have one direct to the modem router, then switch to the home WiFi once you have it working as it should. Take it a step at a time and you shouldn’t have any great issues

From my experiments with the hotspot on the Pi4 it appears to work best when there’s no other WiFi signals about for example in the middle of a field.

Regards Alan

Read More...

Jaq,
Install Real VNC Viewer on the Windows machine, connect the Pi to your home network and run everything on the Pi4 it is more than capable. You can also put Real VNC Viewer on your phone or tablet & monitor the progress there if you like.

I personally found that the guiding performance wasn’t as good when using it as a server client set up due to lag over the network, unless I ran PHD2 directly on the Pi via the ST4 cable. But that’s a bit of extra work to start PHD2 before you connect the server, again this can be done over VNC if needed.

I found I don’t need a static IP on the network just use the address shown in the Stellarmate tutorial video Stellarmate.local I think from memory.

At least doing it this way you’ll get results.

Try it first with the simulators, then connect the other equipment 1 item at a time and make sure it works before saving the configuration, then shutting down and restarting the Pi before connecting the next item. Doing things this way helps isolate problems with an individual piece of kit.

Good Luck

Alan

Read More...

I can understand your frustration, I used Ascom and when I first started with Indi & KStars I struggled, especially with the Linux side of things getting all the USB ports set so they didn’t fight over their port numbers at every startup, but I like the all in one place set up so I stuck with it. Now my Pi4 mounts on the scope outside and I sit in the warm house and monitor the progress over VNC.

Stick with it it does work.

I’m sure that Stellarmate will do it’s thing when you get it sorted, this forum & Google will get it working that’s how I achieved it.

Alan

Read More...