I just updated my IOS version of the Stellarmate app and when it tried to connect to Stellarmate.com it failed with a |getaddrinfo: ENOTFOUND www.stellarmate.com. This is a bit wierd since it would seem to be a DNS issue vs the server actually being down. Is this the same for everyone or perhaps there's an upstream DNS issue thats preventing resolution for me?
I heard from her (my apologies for misgendering you Nicola!) who indicated she didn't intend to either monetize nor open source DMXCapture.
As a sometime planetary imager, I tend to agree with Axel that adding real planetary imaging to the already overly complex EKOS UI seems to be wasted effort, versus perhaps a UI update (although honestly I find the EKOS UI perfectly fine versus trying to cram everything on a single screen) or adding livestacking to the desktop interface (right now I livestack with ASTAP which is also fine but a hassle with filters and calibration etc.) There are lots of excellent planetary imaging packages out there including FireCapture and AstroDMX so it's not like we don't have something. Honestly, planetary imaging is so different than DSO imaging (finicky to position the planet on the sensor for example) that right now I don't do planets because it's a hassle to dismantle my DSO rig and assembly a planetary rig with different filters, ADC, Barlow etc.)
That being said to meet the OP requirement it just sounds like the ability to capture a SER file instead of a FITS is a pretty simple requirement that won't require much change. From what I can tell there just needs to be a change to the Capture tab to include SER in the Format field instead of FITS, 8 or 16-bit. I guess there would need to be a duration field as well since the exposure would be needed.
I'm shocked to say you're right, it's not open source. I thought it was - certainly it doesn't look like Nicola has tried to monetize the software so wonder why he hasn't open sourced it?
I'll ask him...
This seems to be a rather significant effort when AstroDMX Capture (www.astrodmx-capture.org.uk/) as of version 2.0.2, support now includes INDI mount, camera, focuser and filter wheels. Also, EKOS is pretty complicated as is?
Thanks Aaron I think perhaps using polar coords converted from the desired altaz might be more generic anyway, so I'll do that.
Hi there - I think I know the answer to this but thought I'd confirm - can you specify altaz coordinates in PyIndi and have the telescope slew to them? I tried the following:
# Set the desired coordinates
# and wait for the scope has finished moving
print("Scope Moving ", telescope_altaz.value, telescope_altaz.value)
But the scope doesn't move. So I imagine not - the KStars client does slew to Altaz coords for automated flats. or is that just calculating a RA and DEC based on the AltAz coords desired and slews to that? I know I've got good connections and stuff since I can park and unpark the scope but this isn't working for me. Any input appreciated thanks!
I'm in the same boat with a rotator I just got, except they claimed they had an INDI driver, but it didn't work. THey're working on one, but in the meantime I'm using a simple Python script to operate the rotator. I used the free Device Monitoring Studio from www.hhdsoftware.com to sniff out the protocol under ASCOM then wrote a Python script to operate the rotator. Once you you that working you would still need to build the INDI driver but at least you'd start out knowing the protocol side of things works. Good luck!
Ah, that's what I missed; the Deluxe has a USB port on it, so it obviously has a motor controller built in, so unless you ditch the hand pad, you don't need an FCUSB. So the question becomes, what is the command protocol on the hand controller? Clearly, it's different than the Shoestring. Did you ask JMI if the unit is INDI compatible? Or compatible with any other type of focuser? If not then you're hooped - my motofocus has a cable with a 3.5mm audio jack on it to plug into the Shoestring, looks like yours has an RJ45 cable so unless you get a pinout for another cable the FCUSB is out.
I use a JMI motofocus on my C8 with a Shoestring FCUSB. Unless I'm misunderstanding your configuration you will need some sort of focus motor controller to connect to your computer - the motor itself is "dumb" and the handpad just routes power around from the battery to move the motor.
Here's a link to the Shoestring site, Unfortunately they're closed til Feb 2.
I agree, it's pretty poor and I've heard from a few people that say they have had no luck logging on to the site. Doesn't help the community grow!
Yeah but it doesn't currently work Perhaps new firmware has rendered it obsolete? However, I just got this from Frank:
Simple Python program gets a response:
ser = serial.Serial('/dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0',19200, timeout=1)
print("Connected to: ",ser.name)
print ("Error opening port exiting ...")
# Send handshake
# Print response
line = ser.readline()
for response in line.split(b"A"):
# Close the port
Connected to: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0
Well I received the unit and it looks really nice - very low profile, and seems very robust. I've asked Frank as to the current status of the driver development, since the current driver seems to connect but little else except increment the angle field in the driver with what looks like step positions. Hopefully they're actually working on a driver since I only have 14 days to return the unit, but I'd rather hang onto it if it looks like there will be a driver in the near future. I also asked for a command set document so at least I can write a quick Python program to rotate it in the meantime. I'll have a look at the driver code as well and see if I can reverse engineer something.