I'm just nitpicking here but I wish the built-in star catalogs would be bigger as I couldn't find quite a few well known double stars.
You're right, I constrained the stars catalog quite a bit to speed up the catalog loading. I'm optimizing the process to allow for more stars in the next version.
I didn't check the telescope position in the Sky Map due to its vivid colour and brightness which could destroy my dark adaptation.
The new ultra-dark mode in v1.4 fixes that. Just press the eye icon on the toolbar to make the app and the Sky Map red and dim.
As far as the plate solving is concerned, I didn't experience pointing issues last time. Unfortunately, Astroberry's INDI and KStars versions are not up-to-date. See
this GitHub issue