INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

A simple Piggy-Back camera solution for concurrent exposure?

• Thank you received: 0
Hello!

There is many treads talking about twin telescope solutions, but still no suggestion of how to shoot two capture sequences in parallell. Of course it is complicated to synchronize across session with dither, focusing, guide interrupts and other. Therefore I suggest a Simplified Piggy-back Camera solution. Treat the Piggy-back just as when a camera is connected to another with a sync cable, just making the second camera open and close shutter in synchro with main. Let it store the raw picture in camera and in most respects be as autonome as possible to not complicate things in Ekos.

As of now I have been able to make a copy/alias of the driver for my second camera and configure it as an AUX device. I can then switch between both my cameras in capture and some other tabs like align and guide. (But when in Job schedule, the camera used for the capture sequence stored, is ignored and same camera is used for all jobs. This should be possible to fix?) My idea is to make a new field: Piggy-Back in INDI Camera where one can select the other camera currently configured as AUX. The effect being that whenever Main Camera captures, the other camera is triggered and exposes in true parallell. The settings for the Piggy-Back should be the last settings when selected as main, or even simpler, left to the user to set at the camera itself. A restriction must be that if the exposure is not finished at the Piggy-Back when main is finished, the shutter is forced shut. This to avoid all the possible problems with dithering ++ while one camera has open shutter.

Before eventually to suggest this in a request for new features, I would like some discussions and ideas on how to best achieve this functionality.

3 years 3 weeks ago #69844
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds