INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Please help with initial Rotator setup in EKOS

I haven't had the chance to test mine under real skies yet. I don't think yours is faulty, we'll know from the logs what's going on.
1 year 9 months ago #84312

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 158
Ok, I spotted a hole in the clouds let night at 3:30AM!
What I did was:

1. Open up the observatory and slew to a target in the cleared spot, IC1539.
2. Take an image to save for the test. The rotator was untouched, at zero degrees raw angle.
3. Solve the sky at that spot - to make sure the rotator data was updated.
4. Rotate the camera +45 degrees raw angle.
5. Solve again - without slewing just to update the new rotation angle. The FOV icon changed appropriately.
6. Did a LOAD and SLEW using the image of IC1539 taken when the rotation was zero. I would have expected the system to calculate that the camera was +45 degrees off, and then rotate the camera back -45 to zero.
7. EKOS solved the image, and did note that the camera angle was off. But then it rotated the camera _+45 MORE, not back to zero. It stopped at about 90 degrees.
8. I then reloaded the original image (rot=0) and tried again. It should have moved back -90 to zero.
9. EKOS solved, and calculated that it was off 90 degrees. But instead if gong back to zero, it went forward another 90 to 180!

Here's a log from last night.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_03-26-46.txt
File Size:2,766 KB
1 year 9 months ago #84368
Attachments:

I added reverse direction support in the night crawler driver. Please see if enabling this helps. Also updated KStars to give more messages if rotator does not work as it should.
1 year 9 months ago #84381

Thanks Jasem. I tested it with static movement and all seems fine. Tonight, if I can find another hole in the clouds, I'll test it with plate solving. Thanks again!
1 year 9 months ago #84382

I just tested build version: 2022-07-13T17:54:08Z
That version showed no change. Is this the version you had updated?
1 year 9 months ago #84384

MacOS nightly is not rebuilt yet, it gets built once daily so wait for July 14th build once it's available.
1 year 9 months ago #84387

Thanks Jasem. I went online and it appears the July14 build is there, but not complete?
binary-factory.kde.org/view/MacOS/job/KS..._Nightly_macos/1590/
1 year 9 months ago #84402

Here's two log files from tonights testing. The first one is with the rotator set to run in the normal direction, while the second test is with it set to reverse.
Both failed.

I noticed three things:

1. When the rotator went to try and go back to the solved image position, it went the correct direction when I had it set to REVERSE, but then failed to stop at the correct spot and just kept on going.
2. Once it failed to stop (and gave me a message about reserving direction) the "load and Slew" button in the silver greyed out. This prevented me from testing it right away, without quoting KStars and starting over.

3. KStars crashed to the desktop a LOT. I think it crashed 3 times for each successful run. It crashed just as I was trying to start EKOS and start my INDI devices. It made no difference which one I started. Within 10 seconds of starting the drivers, it dropped right to the desktop with no errors mentioned. After restarting KStars a few times, it would eventually work. Very annoying.

File Attachment:

File Name: LOG1-NL-.txt
File Size:1,222 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Log2-REV.txt
File Size:1,476 KB
1 year 9 months ago #84421
Attachments:

Also, after a plate solve, I thought these two values were supposed to be the same?

1 year 9 months ago #84427
Attachments:

The number are different by 180 degrees, so they're both correct. I found the issue in the nightcrawler driver, it wasn't reporting the reversed angle immediately after reverse. This is now corrected, please try again tomorrow, i think we're almost there.

Not sure about the crashes... absolutely no Apple backtrace?
1 year 9 months ago #84428

Here's the Mac crash log. I ran KStars 4 times. It crashed 3 times with this exact same error:
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000018
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [3716]

I don't know if this is related to the Moonlite, or the bad AAG Cloudwatcher (which still is non functioning, bur Rob is working on it).

File Attachment:

File Name: Process-kstar.txt
File Size:350 KB
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Peter Kennett.
1 year 9 months ago #84433
Attachments:

Jasem, what version has your latest update?
I just tried JUL16 without success.

Peter
1 year 9 months ago #84436

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds