INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Upcoming Changes to Focus - Retirement of Iterative and Polynomial Algorithms

• Thank you received: 282
Hi,

Version 3.6.6 of Kstars/Ekos is due to be released at the end of July / beginning of August.

For the subsequent release 3.6.7 I intend to retire the Iterative and Polynomial algorithms. If you do not use these algorithms then you have nothing to do.

If you use either of these algorithms then you should migrate away from them. Linear 1 Pass is the preferred algorithm.

Why are these algorithms being retired? These algorithms have served Kstars well for many years but have now been superseded by Linear 1 Pass. There is now code bloat in Focus that needs to be tackled to ensure the Focus code is as maintainable and extensible as possible. Having 4 algorithms to regression test changes against is significantly more work and the benefit of these algorithms has reduced over time. I do not believe there are any use-cases where Polynomial or Iterative cannot be either equaled or bettered by Linear 1 Pass.

If you use either Iterative or Polynomial then please try Linear 1 Pass. If you have problems or do not believe it to be superior, then please reply to this post and I'll help you out. If there is a valid use-case (that I'm unaware of) for these algorithms and the functionality cannot be replicated by Linear 1 Pass then this decommission will not proceed.

TIA and happy focusing!

John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafael Schlegel, Fitchie
9 months 1 week ago #94188

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 282
This change will not be going ahead.
9 months 2 days ago #94364

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds