INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What causes this DEC oscillation (Celestron AVX)

• Thank you received: 25

Anyone see this sort wild oscillation on the DEC axis and know what might cause it? I've already done the obvious stuff like re-checking polar alignment, checking balance, checking for cable snags, and there's no wind.

My AVX is not overloaded; there's not even 4kg on it - Askar V 60mm (2.8kg) , ZWO EAF (0.3kg), ASI533 (0.5kg) - and the mount is rated for about 15kg. Control is via a StellarmateX, guiding is using the ekos internal guider. This also isn't a constant thing. Some nights I don't see the oscillation at all and some nights I do. I'm not using the GPG guider which only operates on the RA axis anyway, nor am I using any form of PEC.

This happens no matter what the aggressiveness/gain, maximum move, and exposure settings are. Less aggressiveness and longer exposure just means it takes longer to complete a cycle.

Possibly a red herring, but one thing I've noticed is the drift plot flashing white for a brief moment, as if there is some sort of refresh delay somewhere. I don't see any thing in dmesg to indicate USB errors, nor indications of swapping in top.

-C
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Chris Kuethe.
7 months 3 weeks ago #95628
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IIRC, flashing white is when it fails to detect any stars. This can lead to bad guiding of course.
7 months 3 weeks ago #95635

• Thank you received: 282
Looks like Dec is swapping sides continually and with backlash its just overshooting before recovering .... and then overshooting again.

I don't have any experience with the AVX mount but can you remove the backlash? If not, you could try balancing off-centre in DEC so the DEC is continually in motion in the same direction. If the DEC direction doesn't change that should eliminate the backlash. I suppose an alternative is to deliberately mis- Polar align in Dec so again guiding will continually drive DEC in 1-direction to avoid backlash.
7 months 3 weeks ago #95637

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds