INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos and Canon 6D setup

• Thank you received: 1
Jasem, I understand, and thanks.

I'm not going to attempt to understand why or what makes things work/not work and computers have a way of proving me wrong at inopportune moments. I just did an update, connected my 6D, turned on all the log file settings according to your video and did all the same things that caused Ekos to crash on me just this morning. Works fine! I'm getting FITS images from a sequence and it's working. This morning it did not. Go figure.

I have logs turned on now so when I do manage to make it fail I'll have a record of it for you next time.

Thanks again. And, yes.....when it does what you programmed it to do, it's pretty simple!
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by James Taylor.
7 years 5 months ago #11229

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Andreas on topic Ekos and Canon 6D setup

Hi at all,

I'm Andreas an new to Indi/Kstars/Ekos. I also am a bloody noob to linux, but willing to learn. The indiproject and what Jasem is doing here with ekos is very interesting to me. So I bought a Pi3 and build up the (same?) system like Lars described in his first post. Then I got the same problems.
I don't know whether I can help, but nearly the same is happening to me, so you guys are not alone.

Exactly the same happened to me two days ago with my 700d. But I can't reproduce it any more.
I updated kstars to 2.7.0 yesterday.
When framing in any resolution the process works except for RAW when I click the Transfer Format to FITS. Then the same like above happens: no preview window appears, kstars freezes then crashes. I let the systemmonitor run but there was nothing to see until it froze like anything else.

Same for me.

Andreas
7 years 5 months ago #11407

As I said before, I need remote access to the machine/rpi3 so I can investigate this. So far 3 users reported same problem, and 0 users offered remote access.
7 years 5 months ago #11408

1 user offers remote access ;), just tell me what I have to do to get prepared for this.

Andreas
7 years 5 months ago #11421

You have Ekos running on Pi or your machine? If on Pi, then VNC, if on machine, then TeamViewer.
7 years 5 months ago #11426

It runs on the Pi, then I will have to send you IP and hostname? will I have to change something in my router?
7 years 5 months ago #11432

Yes public IP/port, and you probably have to do port forwarding to your RPI from the router
7 years 5 months ago #11433

Andreas.d I'm a newbie to all this and I can tell you what I did and it was fairly painless in the end. I downloaded RealVNC Server onto my Pi3. You can go to their web site to get the Raspberry Pi download version. I just walked through the setup screens and got it running. Port forwarding wasn't as mysterious as I suspected. I used info on a web page www.portforward.com that helped me do it with no snags and while I was in the router settings I made the IP static for my Pi3 (I also made the IP static within the Pi3's Internet connections settings to match it all so I can connect the Ethernet cable directly from the Pi3 to my Laptop if I want). The port is 5900 for RealVNC Server. Locally, I added RealVNC Viewer (downloaded from the RealVNC web page) to my laptop (they'll ask you to register it for free) and I'm able to remote into my Pi3 both via Ethernet or Wifi over my LAN just fine; you just need to have the IP address for the Pi3 on your router.

I just had RealVNC configure my Pi3 user name and password as the login, but the viewer will allow you to click a menu item and allow "Guest Access" temporarily. That's what I did for Jasem and he got in without needing a password. Yeah, not exactly super secure, but my Pi3 doesn't have anything on it that I'm worried about.

The RealVNC web site somewhere is where I got the terminal command lines to start and stop the VNC server and I created launchers on my desktop to do that real quick without having to remember the commands. I ended up setting the VNC startup launcher to automatically run at startup for me so I don't have do it each time.

Of course, there are other VNC server programs out there to use, this is just what I ended up using and without knowing what I was doing I managed to make it work.

I googled, "What's my IP address" and found numerous web pages that will ping your IP address and tell you what it is; so when you go to have someone connect from outside, you can tell them that IP address.
7 years 5 months ago #11440

Hi James,

I made a swapfile as described on the link you shared above. Now the fits are produced and displayed without crashing kstars. But it still needs some time to show up and just bevor the fitsviewer is opening everything freezes for some seconds. I could even play a bit with focusing a sunlit pinhead :) with my kitlense.

I also changed the gpu_mem from default to 128 but this had no effect I could recognize, so I will set it back to default value.

I have vino vncserver running on the pi, this way I see the gui of the pi on my notebook. There is no "Guest Access" I can see, but it should work anyway I hope.
And was there any result? Is there anything to tweak to get it working more smoothly?

Andreas
7 years 5 months ago #11493

And was there any result? Is there anything to tweak to get it working more smoothly?

Andreas[/quote]

The biggest benefit to me was just having him work through the PHD2 setup and see what I was supposed to be doing. I wasn't setting things up right and now it works. took about 30 minutes or so. I still screwed something up after that but we worked it out. So if you're having difficulty making something work, it's probably worth having him log on to your machine and let him walk you through the process.
7 years 5 months ago #11495

Great news about the swap file. I had the same result and FITS files take a LONG time. I counted 80 seconds once for the first image to load in FITS viewer but typically about 30 seconds. Jasem commented about how slow it was when he did a preview while he was in my Pi3. But IT WORKS and it was crashing before. I did not know about GPU memory options but if you come up with something else, I'm sure we'll all be interested.
7 years 5 months ago #11496

I don't think the gpu_mem tweaking is of great use for us. The cpu memory shrinks the same amount and afaik the fits are made by the cpu.
Some guys who play games on Pis do have benefits from this. www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/4ckx6...mory_split_for_pi_3/
I changed gpu_mem like described here: www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md (2nd chapter)

edit: the swapfile is used by up to ~200M after makeing the fits. If you hit the autostrech button it will use about ~500M.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Andreas.
7 years 5 months ago #11501

Time to create page: 0.874 seconds