Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jul 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.4 on 2018-07-25. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Call for SEP testing

Call for SEP testing 5 months 4 weeks ago #24413

In KStars 2.9.3, I worked on initial integration of SEP . You can think of SEP as a Sextractor Library. So the primary purpose of SEP in KStars is to aid with photometry work that I yet have to start in the future, but it has other purposes as well. In v2.9.3, you can select SEP as one of the detection algorithms in the focus module.

I'd like to get feedback on that. How reliable is SEP in detecting stars? is the red circle accurate?
The following user(s) said Thank You: nmac, Kaczorek, TallFurryMan, pcxz, El Corazon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

Call for SEP testing 5 months 4 weeks ago #24421

I don’t have a motor focuser but this still sounds interesting. Could you explain a bit more about the other uses?

Modded Canon EOS 700D with a WO ZS 71 ED on a SW HEQ5-Pro /
QHY9 CCD and filter wheel with an 8" RC on a SW EQ6-R

Call for SEP testing 5 months 4 weeks ago #24422

It will be used to do photometric measurements in KStars, i.e. aperture photometery..etc later on.

Jasem Mutlaq

Call for SEP testing 5 months 4 weeks ago #24424

OK thanks for the wuick reply. In that case I won’t be able to help testing the module for now.

Modded Canon EOS 700D with a WO ZS 71 ED on a SW HEQ5-Pro /
QHY9 CCD and filter wheel with an 8" RC on a SW EQ6-R

Call for SEP testing 5 months 4 weeks ago #24425

Will give it a shot tonight if the wx holds.

Re:Call for SEP testing 5 months 4 weeks ago #24456

My roll-away should be...rolling beginning of April, so for sure I'll be giving this a try. I hope it will properly recognize galaxy cores as what they are :)

-Eric

Last Edit: by TallFurryMan.

Call for SEP testing 5 months 4 weeks ago #24482

Hey sounds great !
I'll give a try to this new module as soon as the weather is good.

Davy

Davy Hubert
Setup : 200/900 Newtonian Scope; Orion Atlas Eq-G mount; Trius-SX694 CCD; SX-Lodestar X2 guide cam; SX FilterWheel; Moonlite Focuser

Re:Call for SEP testing 5 months 3 weeks ago #24496

TallFurryMan wrote: My roll-away should be...rolling beginning of April, so for sure I'll be giving this a try. I hope it will properly recognize galaxy cores as what they are :)

-Eric

I haven't check that part yet, but I should test it soon enough. I integrated yesterday to Guide module as well.

Jasem Mutlaq

Call for SEP testing 5 months 3 weeks ago #24510

knro wrote: In KStars 2.9.3, I worked on initial integration of SEP . You can think of SEP as a Sextractor Library. So the primary purpose of SEP in KStars is to aid with photometry work that I yet have to start in the future, but it has other purposes as well. In v2.9.3, you can select SEP as one of the detection algorithms in the focus module.

I'd like to get feedback on that. How reliable is SEP in detecting stars? is the red circle accurate?

Are you planning to expand this to the point where it can be used for detecting exoplanet transits?
That would be cool! Can't wait!

I'll check it out next time we have good weather here. According to the weather frogs, that's not going to happen for another week, though.

Call for SEP testing 5 months 3 weeks ago #24511

That's a long way off... I'm not sure if SEP is suitable for that.

Jasem Mutlaq

Call for SEP testing 5 months 3 weeks ago #24643

Finally, after spring break (kids), work travel, and terrible weather I got a clear night and a bit of time. I did some basic testing of SEP in the focus module that comprised of running the focus module both with the default of gradient detection and SEP. Gradient worked and selected a star. SEP did not. Instead it either found a hot pixel or a blank area and the focus module continued with attempting to focus. Obviously it failed.

Looking at the red circles in the focus module I see that SEP does find a couple of stars but also hot pixels.

Logs and a full-frame fits image, logs, and a couple of screen shots here:

www.dropbox.com/sh/btcc25a8gfl0xes/AAAbU...5ssa2dOYViq_Jca?dl=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: TallFurryMan

Last Edit: by schwim.

Call for SEP testing 5 months 3 weeks ago #24653

Right, I already found issues with SEP and fixed them in KStars GIT. I will use your frames to see if it still holds, thanks for providing the frames that's a tremendous help!!

Jasem Mutlaq
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica