Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jul 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.4 on 2018-07-25. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 3 days ago #26553

Thanks. Yes, this was indeed a corner case which should be fixed in the next version. The fix landed in GIT if anyone wants to test it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 3 days ago #26554

• kross
  • kross's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I'll try it out tomorrow night, thanks!

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26558

• nmac
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
This issue happened to me last night.
After losing the star the guider module stalls. Even after identifying and reacquiring the star (it puts a circle on it), it keeps saying the star is lost and the capture module hangs in the dithering process. I will test it too, thanks!

(PT) SC@ROS Observatory
x86_64 Atom PC / TS 6" F4 Newtonian / Canon 550D / GPU CC / Datyson T7M / Arduino Moonlite DC Clone- HEQ5 Pro
x86_64 C2D / Explore Scientific ES80480 / Atik 420m / ES FF 2" / ASI120MM - Arduino Moonlite DC Clone - Vixen GPD2
www.flickr.com/photos/139335144@N03/
Last Edit: by nmac.

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26559

This is with the nightly KStars build of yesterday?

Jasem Mutlaq

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26560

• nmac
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
Not sure but I think it's the previous version, tonight I will update again and see if there is any change.

(PT) SC@ROS Observatory
x86_64 Atom PC / TS 6" F4 Newtonian / Canon 550D / GPU CC / Datyson T7M / Arduino Moonlite DC Clone- HEQ5 Pro
x86_64 C2D / Explore Scientific ES80480 / Atik 420m / ES FF 2" / ASI120MM - Arduino Moonlite DC Clone - Vixen GPD2
www.flickr.com/photos/139335144@N03/

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26571

• kross
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
So I pulled the latest from Git and built it (are there nightly Windows builds somewhere?). The problem of the capture module getting stuck in dithering is indeed fixed. Thank you!

However, when setting the dithering to 10 pixels, it works for a few frames, then it doesn't hardly move at all. When this happens, the guider will say it lost track of the guide star, and then reacquire it and continue guiding. But it will do this for every frame from this point on. Hardly move at all, and say it lost the guide star. I believe this was what was happening before, I don't think this is new to this build. Maybe it's expecting the star to be 10 pixels over, but because it didn't move, maybe that's why it says it lost track?

But at least I made it through the entire evening without the capture module getting stuck! Sweet!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Herrhausen

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26572

If you turn on "Guide" logging and send that over, it would help to figure out what's causing this.

Jasem Mutlaq

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26573

• kross
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sure thing. Clear skies in the forecast tonight, so I'll be doing some imaging.

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26574

Btw, what's your maximum pulse set at?

EDIT: Please git pull again before you test tonight, I added a couple more debug statements.

Jasem Mutlaq
Last Edit: by knro.

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26576

• kross
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
If you're referring to the control parameters tab in the guiding module, where you can set proportional and integral gain, the max is 5000 and the min is 50

I'm using EQMod for guiding, not ST4, if that matters.

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26577

• kross
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Also, I've been messing around with the proportional and integral gain values, just to see what effect they have on guiding, and they seem to have a positive effect. But I don't know if that would mess with the dithering at all.

Lost star when dithering causes capture module to hang 2 months 2 days ago #26579

• kross
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
When you say enable guide logging, do you mean saving the guiding session to a CSV file, by hitting the Save icon? Or something else? If something else, I can't find any way to enable logging that references guiding. Only in the main kstars settings, I can enable logging to a file, is that what you mean?

Time to create page: 0.438 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica