INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

gspd unstable?

• Thank you received: 16
I'm using Kstars/Ekos on macOS.
I have tried entering GPSd as a device as Aux2 under Profile Editor. Regardless of whether i connect a device or not (I have a physical GPS device which provides NMEA sentences via RS22), using this entry results in nothing connecting. I just get the "red phone" icon. If I persist, the whole app crashes.

The only way back is to remove the GPSd entry.

It seems there is a problem with it.

Cheers,
Richard
3 months 1 day ago #98478

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic gspd unstable?

Really out of my league here, but is the gpsd driver the correct driver for a RS22 feed? What about GPS NMEA? I have a USB gps device and know it works with gpsd, but otherwise, I'm just guessing here.
2 months 4 weeks ago #98524

Replied by Richard Francis on topic gspd unstable?

Thanks for that data point. Is it on macOS?

But the point I failed to make (it wasn't clear from my post, for which I apologise) is that it doesn't matter what is connected. I get the same non-reponsive interface even if there is nothing extra connected to my Mac at all. I can take a working setup, just add GPSD in the Profile Editor, and, with no other change, including not plugging anything else in, I can't connect to any of the other equipment.

As soon as I remove GPSd from the Profile it works again (if it doesn't crash)
2 months 4 weeks ago #98526

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic gspd unstable?

Ah, sorry my gps usb-> gpsd is under ubuntu.
2 months 4 weeks ago #98527

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Aaron Morris on topic gspd unstable?

Is gpsd communicating with the GPS adapter? You should be able to verify with the CLI command cgps . gpsd needs to have read/write access to the serial port for the gps adapter.

On Linux, I believe clients communicate with gpsd via a socket. Does your user have read permission to the socket? The path on Linux is /var/run/gpsd.sock , not sure about MacOS.
2 months 4 weeks ago #98533

Replied by Richard Francis on topic gspd unstable?

If I select gaps as an Aux device in Profile editor, then I cannot make any connection with anything. I'm using Kstars/Ekos. The Indi Server panel does not appear and in Ekos the "start" icon (triangle/square) just shows a red "phone" icon.

This behaviour is the same if there is a GPS device (or adapter) physically connected or not.

I do have other equipment connected via serial ports (ie real serial ports attached to USB-Serial converters) and, when GPSd is not present in the profile, they work.

I'll see if I can find evidence of a live socket, but as selecting GPSd seems to prevent indi-server from starting, I'm not sure of that.

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway. I'll have a look around tomorrow.
2 months 4 weeks ago #98534

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Aaron Morris on topic gspd unstable?

I had to do a little research before I posted this. There is even another option: shared memory. The options for accessing gpsd seem to be socket and shared memory.

gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/client-howto.html#_i...from_the_client_side

I have never connected to gpsd from a mac, so no experience there. On linux I recall that ntpd communicates with gpsd normally via the shared memory access. It just depends on how the mac indi code was compiled.

You can check the permissions of the shared memory on Mac and Linux with "ipcs -m" but this information may not be useful to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Francis
2 months 4 weeks ago #98535

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds