INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SA GTI poor guiding / mount connection

• Thank you received: 0
hi there im using a star adventurer Gti over wifi connection and i keep getting an error message which also affects my guiding i reckon… i was just wondering if anyone had this same error message: [WARNING] dispatch_command): serial port read failed for 200ms (1 retries), verify mount link.
Also my guiding is around 13 arcmins which is terrible even after a proper polar aligment ( 2arcsec total error)
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by Patrick.
1 month 5 days ago #99863
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic poor guiding / mount error

Did you try ethernet cable, too? If this works properly, the wifi is to blame.
1 month 5 days ago #99865

Replied by Patrick on topic poor guiding / mount error

i havent tried that yet but im going to when the weather allows it. as far as my guiding stats/ settings are fine you think? 2500ms pulse length seems a bit too much or?
1 month 5 days ago #99867

I believe 20" drift is way too much, also RMS 14, which indicates something is not right. Most probably this stems from the issue you highlighted, the connection between mount and Ekos is unreliable. Correction commands that are being sent to the mount take way too long to get there or are not received at all so guiding suffers.
1 month 5 days ago #99868

Well i just ran the setup wizard in ekos to connect my mount and chose the star adventurer gti option and wifi connection. Perhaps i need a dedicated driver for it like eqmod you think?
1 month 5 days ago #99869

I don't know your mount but the error message you mentioned IMO can explain your guiding woes. Is wifi the only option to connect your mount? Hopefully somebody who owns the same hardware can chime in here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick
1 month 5 days ago #99870

• Thank you received: 41
The Skywatcher Star Adventurer GTi have a payload of max. 5kg. How heavy is payload loaded on the mount?
I have the previous Skywatcher GTIi version of the mount, which suppose to loaded 5kg. But with 5kg payload you can technically not use the mount at all.
1 month 5 days ago #99872

I have a very light payload atm only around 2.2kg incl the dovetail bar so that shouldnt be the problem. I do think it is the poor connection between the mount and my laptop.
1 month 5 days ago #99873

• Thank you received: 41
Hello Patrick,

there is an excellent video by C. Buil (though in french only): La Star Adventurer GTi sous toutes les coutures
where he uses the mount in combination with a custom build 3D printed spectroheliograph (called Solex, Starex resp). In the last 3rd of the video he additionally measures periodic error etc...

I use the previous version of the GTi mount with my Canon 700D and Star Analyzer 100, and also with the Solex spectroheliograph and 420mm Refractor (all unguided).
1 month 4 days ago #99883

• Thank you received: 17
Hi Patrick,
last year I had similar communication problems with my sa gti under EKOS/Indi.
In my case the cause was the firmware. They fixed the USB communication in FW 3.4.3.
Im my case the errors were gone after flashing the newest FW.
Hope that helps.
Stefan
1 month 4 days ago #99884

You mean the firmware of the mount and not the indi driver right? Also have you tried the wireless connection as well or only via usb?
1 month 4 days ago #99887

• Thank you received: 17
Yes, my gti had an old firmware and with rpi/kstars it wasn't functional with that fw. Lots of communication errors and delays.
Never tried Wifi mount connection, I prefer a wired connection.
1 month 4 days ago #99893

Time to create page: 1.322 seconds