INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Obs. Planner in KStars-bleeding cannot Add Object

• Thank you received: 7
I'm running UBUNTU 15.10 with latest indilib and kstars-bleeding (Version 2.5.0)
As described in the KStars handbook, the Observation Planner supports the addition of ad hoc objects, i.e. the handbook shows an "Add Object" button.
I would love to be able to do this; but my version differs from what is described in the handbook and doesn't seem to provide this facility. The only objects I can use are those already defined in KStars catalogues.

I suppose one answer would be to create a custom catalogue but I cant find anything up to date on how to do this.

Most grateful for comment, opinions and advice.
8 years 3 months ago #6528

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
Dear Robert

I think the "Add Object" feature you are referring to was the old name for the "Adding Objects: Find Dialog" button that we have. It was just meant to add objects that are already in KStars (through the catalogs) to the observing list. I don't think KStars ever had a feature to add ad-hoc objects.

Unfortunately, the feature you actually want is a somewhat difficult problem to solve correctly. It has been on my wishlist for a long time now and some day it might see some fruition. If someone would contribute this feature to KStars, that would be great, but otherwise it may have to wait until one of us takes a crack at it.

Regards
Akarsh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
8 years 3 months ago #6537

Dear Akarsh,

Thank you for your response. It brings to mind that I am a retired software developer with skills and time to offer the project. Since I have used KStars/INDIlib extensively I feel I owe it. If someone were to point me in the right direction I would be happy to contribute.

With regard to my immediate problem, it appears I could solve it by creating my own KStars catalogue. I am unsure how do this. Could you, please, give me any pointers as to current references that describe the necessary format? Are there any utilities that would reformat catalogues from, say, IRAF?

Many thanks and regards

Robert
8 years 3 months ago #6540

I need to write a HOWTO on that in the KStars documentation, but please check the recent thread that talks exactly about this issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Barlow
8 years 3 months ago #6541

Thanks Jasem. I have successfully created the catalogues I was after and can now Find Objects to add to the Observing List. So that is good progress.
What I can't do is use the "What's up tonight" tool or the Observing List Wizard to choose batches of objects.
My new catalogues are just not visible to these tools
Is there something I have missed in the catalogue? See attached:

I would be most grateful for assistance in finding a solution.
8 years 3 months ago #6544

It seems the tools do not incorporate custom catalogs, please file a bug @ bugs.kde.org so we can follow up with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Barlow
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 3 months ago #6548

• Thank you received: 20
Yes, I noticed this yesterday too. What's up Tonight (WUT) seems to only be using NGC/IC.
I feel though, that with the number of custom catalogs I have enabled on my system, WUT will become very slow (it already takes a noticable time to populate). It might be helpful to have a separate set of checkboxes to enable/disable catalogs in WUT.

Also, Robert, regarding development for KStars, if you're on a fast-paced Linux that has packages for the KDE 5 Framework libraries, building KStars is rather easy:
techbase.kde.org/Projects/Edu/KStars/Building_KStars_KF5
Also do join our development mailing list: mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kstars-devel
If I'm not mistaken, KDevelop is the easiest-to-use IDE (I don't use it, so not sure how to configure it).
8 years 3 months ago #6550

Big thanks Akarsh.

I'm running Ubuntu 15:10 on a fairly speedy desktop and develop with the Qt IDE.
I have tried to install the pre-requisites and have everything except libkf5init-dev. I have had no luck trying to locate the package so am wondering where to go from here.

Have you any ideas please?
8 years 3 months ago #6551

Seems it was renamed, proceed with your installation as it is. I am using QtCreator for IDE, but KDevelop works as well.
8 years 3 months ago #6553

Thanks for hint - In the end I created a new KUBUNTU instance and there followed the KStars installation instructions. For the record: I had to locate and install packages for 'ECM', 'Qt5Svg' and 'Kf5Init' before cmake was satisfied.
KStars has, however, successfully built, installed and run.
I'm happy with QtCreator.
I look forward to getting my hands dirty in a helpful sort of way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
8 years 3 months ago #6566

I updated the documentation to tested it on a fresh installation of Kubuntu in a VM. There are lots of stuff to improve, one issue is currently we do not have a method to cross-reference catalogs. We can discuss the details on the KStars mailing list.
8 years 3 months ago #6567

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds