INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Latest stable release has major CCD issues...

• Thank you received: 158
As an experiment I took a new Pi4, and new 64gb Sd card and installed Ubuntu mate 20.04 - 32 bit.  I want to see what a new user would experience the first time they tried to install Kstars.
I used the normal download instructions to install a new install of Kstars.sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding

After this, I simply rebooted and went in to see what works and what doesn't.

1. The Startup Wizard popped up, I set my location, and all seemed fine. But after every restart of the ap, even after a reboot, the Wizard continued to pop up again - and my location was reset to the UK. This happened over and over until I went in and brought up the screen to install additional data. After that, the system maintained my location and the startup wizard stopped popping up.

2. Everything in Kstars seemed to work fine. So I went into EKOS to set up a profile. That too went smooth - and I so selected all my gear:
- iOptron CEM120
- ZWO CCD (I have the ASI1600MM Pro)
- SX CCD (Lodestar X2)
- ASI EFW
- Esatto (focuser)
- AAG Cloudwatcher NG
- Nexdome

I then started up INDI and noted this:

A: The ZWO CCD driver, when stetted, caused INDI to crash
B: The ASI EFW (attached to the ASI1600MM camera) ran fine!
C: The SX CCD crashed upon starting, just like the ZWO CCD.
D: The Cloudwatcher works, and also refreshes. That's an improvement over last week, when auto refresh failed.
E: The Esatto works. (However the temp reading is not correct. It still records the Esatto motor temp).
F: The CEM120 works. I connect via Ethernet - so I did not test the USB connection.

So a brand new fresh install, using the latest installation procedures on the KDE website results in no ZWO CCD or SX CCD drivers working.
2 years 10 months ago #72779

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

There is no x86-32 bit support, it was dropped long ago.
2 years 10 months ago #72780

Thanks Jasem. That explains it.

I wish the KDE website mentioned that . All it says is:

Linux Download: Install KStars from your Linux distribution software center. Under Ubuntu/Mint, you can install the latest KStars by typing the following commands in the console:

No mention that 64 bit is required .

I will now install the 64bit version of Ubuntu Mate for Raspberry Pi4, and they that.
2 years 10 months ago #72781

There is nothing that prevents 32bit builds in any distro, but the PPA that I maintain does not support 32bit.
2 years 10 months ago #72783

Understood.
I was just trying to install as a complete novice - who followed the instructions from the KStars (KDE) website.

I love Kstars and I promote it as a really amazing astro imaging solution - but its installation is not intuitive. The astro community would love a simple installation that can be done with a single click if possible. Using a command line interface is already a major strike against that goal- it's so 1980's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
2 years 10 months ago #72784

• Thank you received: 140
I totally agree, I am a seasoned user too, and it’s a nightmare to set up from scratch…it’s not intuitive at all…I dread having to set everything up from a fresh install….I think my days with linux And INdI are numbered :(
2 years 10 months ago #72798

Jasem, I decided to scrap trying to use a Pi4 with Ubuntu (64bit) as that build failed miserably. I decided to just stick with Stellarmate.
I burned a new SD card with StellarMate OS v1.5.8. It loaded up on my Pi4 well, and KStars ran smoothly. All my devices launched and were stable. The only fault I found was that the AAG Cloudwatcher NG wouldn't refresh.

Other than that - no problems noted.

But then I ran a SUDO Update/Upgrade.

After that - KStars was updated to build 2021-05-04T18:48:20Z.
The results are the same as with my Ubuntu 32bit version.  This new Stellarmate build also has these errors:
  • AAG Cloudwatcher no longer sees any sensors.
  • And as mentioned by others, the ZWO and SX CCD drivers crashed.

Peter
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Peter Kennett.
2 years 10 months ago #72829

Regarding AAG Cloudwatcher, I need access to the older unit to see why it's failing. If you can please send me teamviewer details to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. that would be great.
2 years 10 months ago #72836

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds