INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

iOptron GEM45/CEM40 - how well they play with INDI?

• Thank you received: 86
Hello,
I am thinking about upgrading my HEQ5 to iOptron GEM45 or CEM40.
Have a couple of questions.
-- how well these mounts play with INDI/Ekos/Stellarmate?
-- can they be used without the hand controller attached (a couple of years ago that was not possible).
-- can iPolar be efficiently used in INDI/Ekos environment? Or it's essentially useless since the guider scope can be readily used for polar alignment?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81982

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
The iOptron GEM45 and CEM40 are well supported by INDI/Ekos. I control my GEM45 along with ZWO cameras (main and guide), ZWO EAF and ZWO EFW using the Astroberry distribution with Ekos/KStars. The hand controller does not need to be plugged into the mount when using INDI/Ekos. The USB port on the mount connects to the USB port on the Raspberry Pi to send the commands and guide pulses directly to the mount. iPolar is not supported / useable with Ekos. However Ekos has a much better polar alignment facility built in that uses either the main scope/camera or guidescope/camera. Using the iPolar app on a laptop, the best iPolar alignment I can get is within about 2' (arc minutes). With the Ekos polar alignment facility, I can get within 7" (arc seconds) using the mainscope/camera. And it's very straight-forward to use.

Cheers!
2 years 3 weeks ago #81983

• Thank you received: 26
Hi Max, i have used the GEM45 with no problems with EKOS. It's an excellent mount, if you can live with the mounting screws 'issue'. (Bit finnicky to install)
I couldn't and designed my own base plate.

The driver works fine. No need to use the hand controller. It's possible even to use a Bluetooth adapteron the iPort (i reccommend).
I found thst with my cem70 (that I now have in stead of the gem45), there is another tab in the indi profile: meridian treatment. I don't know if the gem45 driver has this also. Otherwise it has to be set (once) using the hand controller. I set it about 6 degrees past meridian.

I don't use the iPolar any more. It may be really nice and fastest for course alignment in the field. Ekos can only track the stars in the FOV. iPolar does plate solve and also does not need the mount to rotate (although, calibrate once).

Hope you have a lot of fun with the mount, i was certainly impressed by the gem45! Great tracking as well.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81986

Bart/Peter - thanks!
That basically answers my questions.
Too bad I cannot get one without iPolar (just to save a few bucks).
Thanks again.
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 3.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81991

Bart -
So, any Bluetooth adapter can be used with the iPort to connect to INDI/Ekos, is that right?
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 3.
2 years 3 weeks ago #81993

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds