Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
20 Aug 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.5.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: PhD2 via Ekos on Windows machine while INDI running on RPI3

PhD2 via Ekos on Windows machine while INDI running on RPI3 2 weeks 5 days ago #19011

• Gene
  • Gene's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys,

Newbie dumb question here, I have the following setup:
INDI running on an RPI3 (server), KStars / Ekos running on my Windows Laptop (client).
I've got everything working great using the built-in guider in Ekos, but I would like to run PhD2 instead, which of course, is installed on the Windows client machine. I read the instructions on, www.indilib.org/about/ekos/guide-module.html#h8-using-phd2 , but I cannot get PhD2 to connect through Ekos. The error that I get is that the address is not available. In the profile setup guiding field, I have local / port 0 which must be incorrect. The other problem is that in PhD2, how do I tell the equipment setup for the guide camera / mount to look to INDI for the port information? Normally, I would assign COM1, or COM* if I was not using KStars / Ekos / INDI but I now know this would be redundant.

I just learned about PhD2 build 2.6.3dev7 which now has and INDI option for the port connections, but can't get that to work either. I selected INDI camera / INDI mount and entered port 7624 but that didn't work either. Also, in the Ekos profile, for the guider option I tried, PhD2 / local / port 7624, PhD2 / the IP address of RPI3 server running INDI / 7624 and that didn't work either. Maybe I have to use another port?

Sorry for showing my ignorance here. If there is another link / forum posting with more detailed instructions, please forward me where I might find it.
Thanks,
-Gene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PhD2 via Ekos on Windows machine while INDI running on RPI3 2 weeks 4 days ago #19024

Hi Gene,

Attached is a screenshot of the settings I am using. In EKOS profile editor I selected simply the equipmemt I am using, in this example ASI ZWO for the guidecam and the telescope simulator. I did not select anything that relates as such to phd2.

Did you actually "start indi" in EKOS, before trying to connect the devices in phd2?

Hope this helps.

Helge
Attachments:

PhD2 via Ekos on Windows machine while INDI running on RPI3 2 weeks 14 hours ago #19134

• Gene
  • Gene's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank-you Helge, this was very helpful.

My version of PHD2 was old and I did not see the options shown in your screen shot. I updated my PHD2 and now it works (and makes sense). Before, I was trying to figure out how PHD2 would work because it controls the mount and camera through the COM ports of my laptop which are now located on a remote computer (RPI3) running as the INDI server. I knew that I had to be missing something somewhere, so that's why I wrote the posting.

If anyone else reads this, I might suggest more detailed instructions on section 8 of the Guide Module page in using Ekos. www.indilib.org/about/ekos/guide-module.html Mainly, in the 3rd paragraph, I got lost after the first sentence. It would help if more explanation in what it means to "select your INDI equipment and set their options.", in PHD2. For a newbie like me who's learning how all of this works, more explanation on how to do this would really help.

Clear skies,
-Gene

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica