INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Uart GPS dongle and EQMod "Site Management"

• Thank you received: 6
Hi Guys

I'm having trouble getting "Site Management" to work correctly...

My target is to get Time and Geographic Coordinates set automatically from data provided by a serial-uart GPS device.

I use the latest bleeding edge version of Ekos and INDI from the PPA. I run Ekos in a VM on Ubuntu 15.10 and connect to my devices remotely via a Raspberry Pi 2 running Ubuntu Mate 15.10.

So far I've attempted to make the EQMod driver retrieve the data by entering '/dev/observatory/gps' (symlink to /dev/ttyUSBx where my GPS dongle is attached) in the GPS Device snooping box... but I can't seem to get any results...

Any inputs on how to setup automated "Site Management" will be highly appreciated!

Best Regards
Anders Lange
Denmark
8 years 3 weeks ago #7574

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is this GPS device syncing the time of the RPI2? If yes, then you just need to specify in KStars Options --> INDI --> Then set "Source" to Device
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anders Lange
8 years 3 weeks ago #7575

• Thank you received: 57
I do not know about EQmod driver support for gps, but if it uses gps driver snooping you need to have the indi gps driver running.
The indi gps driver, in turn, uses gpsd daemon to get time/position data. Check if you have it running (e.g. with gpsmon) and properly reading the gps data.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Anders Lange
8 years 3 weeks ago #7576

What Jochym said is correct. However, I think the easiest way is simply to have the GPS correct your device time and then everything will use that including the EQMod driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anders Lange
8 years 2 weeks ago #7586

Currently the GPS is not syncing the time of the RPI2. I didn't know that the EQMod driver needed the inde_gpsd driver to work. I had a suspission though, but when I tried to run the indi_gpsd driver I expected to see some sort of configuration options, but didn't... I didn't know that the indi_gpsd driver needed the GPSD daemon running...

If I use the GPSD daemon to sync the time of the RPI2 device and specify in KStars Options --> INDI --> Then set "Source" to Device. Will I then also get the geographic location synced?
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by Anders Lange.
8 years 2 weeks ago #7590

I also need the geographic location synced, since my imaging setup is mobile :-)
8 years 2 weeks ago #7591

I didn't realize that I needed to use the gpsd daemon... I will give that a try as soon as possible!
8 years 2 weeks ago #7592

After some troubleshooting i finally got gpsd to run and connect to my gps device :cheer:
A little tinkering and now i finally got time and site management automatically set by data from my gps device attached to my RPI2 :woohoo:

Thanks a lot for the help!!!!

Kind Regards
Anders Lange
8 years 2 weeks ago #7602

• Thank you received: 226
I'd like to hear what you did to make that work and how it's run.
7 years 4 months ago #12996

• Thank you received: 226
Thanks to this thread my GPS is updating properly with EQMod Mount. But I'm wondering what it actually does for EQMod Mount? It doesn't appear to update the planetarium location, does it somehow make corrections from the KStars geolocation to the more accurate GPS location for the sky simulation?
7 years 3 months ago #13756

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds