INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry initial release

• Thank you received: 29

Replied by Helge on topic Astroberry initial release

Hi Radek,

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive reply, now it is very clear!

As you wrote, one can no longer buy the original piface, i.e. it would now be the piface digital2-version, which unfortunately I have ordered already a few days ago. Now I realized that I was possibly too fast, since I am using Ubuntu Mate. As per the installation guidelines, piface seems to assume Raspbian, at least I could not find some installation guidelines for Ubuntu Mate. Or is there a way around?

I still tried to install astroberry piface drivers (as per your instructions on github), but when executing the step "make", it failed. The error message says: "failed to unstash changes in /home/helge/astroberry- piface/lins/libmcp23s17/ ....you will have to resolve the conflicts manually". Maybe it cannot work on Ubuntu, or I am missing out some other requirements. [thanks for your hint on CAD!]

Thanks,

Helge
6 years 8 months ago #17423

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
There are some reports the driver works with piface digital too. I have not tested it though.
I use ubuntu mate for everything related to astroberry and the drivers should work on this system without any problem. They are not distribution dependent.
The error you're referring to appears only when you recompile. Take a look at this post .
In any case you can take a look at ready to use astroberry-server image. It works out of the box. No compilation is required. Take a look at this thread .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
6 years 8 months ago #17427

That is good news!

I tried recompiling, but did not succeed, I am sure I made an error somewhere:

After intial cmake .., and running "make" (where failure occured), I cd'd into the build-directory and entered in the terminal "rm -rf /libs" as well as "rm -rf libmcp23s17" (which apparently seems to be the only lib file). Then I applied "cmake .." followed by "sudo make" - but same error message popped up. Please let me know if you needed more details from the error message. Maybe my terminal-commands have been incomplete?

[my path is "helge@helge-raspberry/astroberry-pificae/build/ ..."]

Sorry for keeping you busy with all my questions..

Best, Helge
6 years 8 months ago #17436

Just start from scratch. Remove the sources and git clone the sources from github. Then follow the instructions on github.
Anytime you want to recompile (with make) you need to remove libs from your build directory.
Running "rm -rf /libs" is not a good idea at all because this way you remove your MAIN /lib directory. As the result you will make your system unusable at all (the leading slash makes the difference!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
6 years 8 months ago #17451

Dear Radek,

Quick question on the stepper - was thinking about alternatives to the 28byj48, e.g. NEMA11, which is a bipolar stepper.

I looked through the threads, including Moonlite Focuser. Here connecting the stepper refers to the PiFace Motor Extra, but I guess cannot be transferred to the PiFace Digital 2 - or could a bipolar stepper be run via the relays of the Digital 2?

Am I right that for a bilpolar I should rather go for the Adafruit HAT? To address the "HAT", is there a focuser driver already available on astroberry?

Update: I realize that I can cancel above questions, since you already responded some time ago that you wanted to include the rpi-focuser in the next astroberry-release, which means I can link the A4988 to run a bipolar.

Thanks, Helge
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Helge.
6 years 8 months ago #17934

Dear Radek,

If I may ask - trust you are having a lot of user requests in front, so please do not feel pushed - just wonder if you still consider to onboard the astroberry focuser driver on the astroberry server. I worked around with an arduino nano (resembles moonlite focuser) but since I wanted to rebuild with the DRV8834, would be keen to further simplify.

Btw: really enjoy using the astroberry server (thanks once again for all the efforts behind!), and now integrated the Astroberry in an alu case with a step down converter, see picture.

Best, Helge
6 years 7 months ago #18505
Attachments:

It looks great! I will include original astroberry driver in the next release of Astroberry Server. Stay tuned ;-)
6 years 7 months ago #18510

The code has been updated and moved to github. The latest version is located here: github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-diy
6 years 6 months ago #19046

I have decided that the driver will not be promoted to Astroberry Server. It requires custom board to be developed and minority of users would go this direction. Feel free to compile and install it yourself when needed.
6 years 6 months ago #19047

Dear Radek,

Appreciate the update, thank you very much for spending time and efforts for sharing!!

I just tried to implement following the installation guide - and encountered some problems, I am sure to be attributed to my poor ubuntu skills. I wonder if you could help:

Step 1

astroberry@astroberry:/$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/astrometry.net
Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:~mutlaqja/ubuntu/astrometry.net'.
The user named '~mutlaqja' has no PPA named 'ubuntu/astrometry.net'
Please choose from the following available PPAs:
* 'charts': PPA named charts for Jasem Mutlaq
* 'libgphoto2': libgphoto2-bleeding
* 'ppa': INDI

Step 2

astroberry@astroberry:/$ sudo apt-get install cdbs libcfitsio3-dev libnova-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libjpeg-dev libusb-v libtiff5-dev \ libftdi-dev fxload libcurl4-gnutls-dev dcraw libgphoto2-2-dev libgsl0-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libgsl-dev' instead of 'libgsl0-dev'
Package libgphoto2-2-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
libgphoto2-dev

Step 6

Install support for GPIO and AltIMU

Compile and/or install rtmimulib library => refers to "Requirements"
=> I tried downloading the following * RTIMULib (for Astroberry AltIMU) available here github.com/richards-tech/RTIMULib

a) Is the path still up-to-date?

b) Apologies, but I am lacking of some basic skills: To download, I think I need to type something like wget, prior to "https...". But then, do I need to create a directory, cmake etc ? I tried my best, but ended up nowhere. Is it somehow like this:

cd xyz123
./configure
make
sudo make install

c) Could you kindly provide same for BCM2835 ?

Apologies for asking for explanations for things that users might be expected to be already familiar with...

Best, Helge
6 years 6 months ago #19050

I think you can skip all these steps and go directly to compiling the driver, which is described in the first section of the INSTALL file. Have you tried the compilation?
6 years 6 months ago #19052

Dear Radek,

just gave it a try. Fine for steps 1-4, then, when running "make", operation fails. I guess I should have somehow limited step 1 (and other subsequent steps) to the focuser.

step 1: git clone github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-diy.git

Could you kindly let me know how to amend the generic installation steps for the focuser driver?

astroberry@astroberry:~/astroberry-diy/build$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ..
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 5.4.0
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 5.4.0
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Found INDI: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libindidriver.so;/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libindiAlignmentDriver.so (found version "1.4.1")
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/astroberry/astroberry-diy/build
astroberry@astroberry:~/astroberry-diy/build$ make
Scanning dependencies of target indi_rpigps
[ 6%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/indi_rpigps.dir/rpi_gps.o
In file included from /home/astroberry/astroberry-diy/rpi_gps.cpp:19:0:
/home/astroberry/astroberry-diy/rpi_gps.h:23:29: fatal error: libnova/libnova.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
CMakeFiles/indi_rpigps.dir/build.make:62: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/indi_rpigps.dir/rpi_gps.o' failed
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/indi_rpigps.dir/rpi_gps.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:67: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/indi_rpigps.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/indi_rpigps.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Many thanks in advance,

Helge
6 years 6 months ago #19056

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds