INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Capture Allowing Custom Filename Formatting

• Thank you received: 30
Currently Ekos allows incorporating the filter, exposure time, and time stamp into the output file during a sequence.

I would find having the option to have the camera temperature included would be useful, and perhaps there is other data people would like to include.

Adding these options to the current UI would make it more cluttered and also too tall for many laptop screens.

I've used several capture programs that allow the specification for the output filename during capture using a format language usually using '%' syntax.

Something like:

M13_%et_%fi_%ts_%ct-%zi

where

%et exposure time (secs)
%fi filter
%ts time stamp
%ct camera temperature
%zi file index with leading zeros

It could be extended obviously - this is just a simple example.

We could continue to use the "Prefix" area to store the filename template.

I'm interested in working on this feature but would like to see what people think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim, Eric Vickery, Paul Muller, Sebastien Ruel, Andrea
6 years 8 months ago #17851

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109
Being able to format the timestamp would be neat too.
6 years 8 months ago #17854

• Thank you received: 6

I was thinking about doing something similar but haven't had the time yet. I like the way SGP handles this.

It seems with the current functionality in ekos that it is somewhat hard to reuse sequences in the scheduler without the subs from different targets going into the same folder (unless I am missing something).
6 years 6 months ago #18741

• Thank you received: 23
Great idea. TheSkyX uses a similar %x approach and I find it a godsend. In particular I’ve now developed an appreciation for having each night’s content in one sub directory into which I copy my flats and darks for that sensor and setup.

It also might help to have a unique incrementing file name counters vs. starting from zero for each sequence depending on your preferred fiolder structure top recent clobbering images over multiple runs.
3 years 2 months ago #64987

There is an issue about this in KStars Gitlab here: invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/issues/54
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Muller, Mike Perrett
3 years 2 months ago #64993

• Thank you received: 23
Jassem is of course 100% correct in reminding us that the UX side of the INDI project sits with the KStats project and should be logged/supported there vs. INDI.

My bad, with the two projects being so closely intertwined, it’s easy to forget.
3 years 2 months ago #64995

• Thank you received: 0
When that MR is merged into master and released, will it include the ability to put captures into subfolders based on the object being observed? That would be super useful to reuse sequence templates for more than one object. 
BTW, thanks for all the effort on this software to date; just stumbled onto it a few months ago and love what's been accomplished so far! 
2 years 2 months ago #78805

Correct, though sequence file always had Target prefix which can be set, so it's always been the case.
2 years 2 months ago #78816

Hi everyone. I have a question, when the mount execute the meridian flip, the image orientation change 180º

Somebody know how can include the pierside in the prefix file? This could be usefull for know from which file you need rotate 180º.

Or there is some way to auto rotate file when meridian flip?

Thanks,
Javier A.
8 months 2 weeks ago #93684

I think most post-processing software can identify this and take care of it automatically. At least with PixInsight.
8 months 2 weeks ago #93689

Hello Mr Jasem, nice to meet you its a honor write with you...

Yes off course the pixinsight, maximDL, astroart... can rotate the image automatically, but that's not why i said it.
I think that know in each capture from what meridian was captured could be interesting to find when the mount did the meridian flip.
For example if do you start teh sheduler with a sesion mosaic 8x2 and capture 600 lights from each field cyclically (Field1-Light1, Field2-Light1... Field1-Light2, Field2-Light2...). How can i know when meridian flip ocurred?

The only way I saw its looking for pierside tag in fits headers..

Thanks again,
regards.
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Javier Albella.
8 months 2 weeks ago #93691

• Thank you received: 4
Is formatting allowed only for local filenames or also for remote filenames?
8 months 2 weeks ago #93692

Time to create page: 1.117 seconds