INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

MacOS Stars 2.9.5 crash

• Thank you received: 0
I'm almost certain this is a permissions problem on my laptop. I ran it with sudo just fine, and it created the kstars directory in /var/root. I'm going to do a permissions check on my folders leading up to the App Support/kstars folder. Thanks for all the help. I'll report back what I find.
6 years 23 hours ago #25576

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812
Ok please do.

Meanwhile I sent a patch to Jasem for the dbus issue I saw on the other laptop based on what we were discussing. I will build a new dmg with this patch applied and this might work better for you.

But for now I’m off to bed. I have work in the morning

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabe Shaughnessy
6 years 23 hours ago #25577

Thanks again Rob for all the help. I did make some progress in that I've determined that the permissions weren't a problem. However, in printing the libraries used between my desktop (working) and laptop (not working), I'm finding a different dbus library path. The desktop points to
/usr/local/lib/libdbus-1.3.dylib
. However, the laptop points to
/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libdbus-1.3.dylib

If I unload the plist and move the dbus directory from Plugins to elsewhere, I can get farther in loading kstars, but eventually the program crashes. After putting dbus back to the plugins directory and starting kstars, I get the same frozen state as before. Seems like dbus is the culprit here somehow, but I'm not sure how to diagnose further.

Gabe
6 years 15 hours ago #25585

Somehow it sounds like you have dbus installed via homebrew on the one computer and not the other. I was thinking they might be conflicting, but that is on the one that works, correct? I would expect it to be the other way around. Well, I will try to build a new dmg with the dbus change in place and maybe that will fix your issue. But it is clearly dbus.
6 years 12 hours ago #25596

I just built and uploaded a new dmg. You might want to check if this fixes your dbus issue Gabe.

Thanks,

Rob
6 years 2 minutes ago #25607

Thanks Rob. Looks like that didn't help. I tried unloading the dbus plist as well. It still shows the library being loaded as
/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libdbus-1.3.dylib

Just to check, the md5 of the dmg is 63d206366f2ce7d9d36be04adf2a62e6, right? I couldn't check with the link on the site for the mac download for some reason.

Gabe
5 years 11 months ago #25629

Yeah the one you just posted is the one that should be loaded, the dbus library embedded in the app bundle
5 years 11 months ago #25630

Still having this issue. When running w/ sudo, it runs fine and loads the dbus library. The line about the dynamic session failing might be a clue? I've loaded the plist with
launchctl load -w /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/PlugIns/dbus/org.freedesktop.dbus-kstars.plist

Here's the output
Starting DBus
dyld: loaded: /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libdbus-1.3.dylib
dbus[45765]: Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
5 years 11 months ago #25733

I just did a google search with your dbus error you posted. It was very helpful.

You could try sudo load -w /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/PlugIns/dbus/org.freedesktop.dbus-kstars.plist

before running kstars

Also, check if you have any of these files, I don't think you should.

/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist
~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
~/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist
5 years 11 months ago #25748

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Greg on topic MacOS Stars 2.9.5 crash

Has anyone tried creating a new user account, logging into that and reinstalling & running kstars? I'd try that to filter out any user specific settings that might be influencing things.
5 years 11 months ago #25749

Yes, I've tried this after finding the same page. It doesn't appear to work. I did have those plist files elsewhere, and removed them. Their removal after unloading and reloading the plist (and after reboot) didn't appear to to work.

I've tried w/ another account, and no change.
5 years 11 months ago #25750

Ok, one solution that will almost definitely work for you would be to install homebrew and install dbus on the laptop that for some reason is not working with dbus properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabe Shaughnessy
5 years 11 months ago #25751

Time to create page: 0.701 seconds