INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI driver issues with ZWO cameras

• Thank you received: 0
All,

I seem to be having some INDI driver stability issues on the latest 3.5.0 version of Kstars when connected to both a ZWO autoguider and a ZWO imaging camera.

Here’s another thread where people are encountering the exact same issue, but they were not able to come up with a solution:
indilib.org/forum/ekos/5005-ekos-capture-module-issue.html

Symptoms:
Sometimes my imaging camera will stop exposing in the middle of a job for some reason. Last night I left my rig unattended for 90 minutes, only to come out and find that it had only taken 8x 90sec exposures. When I attempted to resume capture, I got the following error:
[ERROR]: “Exposure failed after 3 attempts. “
“Capture failed. Check INDI Control Panel for details.”
“Restarting capture attempt #1”

There are two variations of how these INDI driver issues play out:
1. When I hit Capture, I’ll see the countdown timer count down to zero, but then it will abruptly reset. So if my capture time is 90 seconds, it will count down to zero, then go back to 90 seconds again without displaying the image. It will try this 3 times and then display the error shown above.
2. When I hit capture, the countdown timer will go down to zero, but then it will get stuck on “Downloading...”. I am directly connected to the camera via USB 3.0, so this is not a wireless bandwidth issue.

I can temporarily fix the problem by disconnecting and then reconnecting the camera in INDI control panel, but it always comes back. I tried to enable INDI logging by pressing the “Debug Enable” button in the control panel, but it immediately goes back to being disabled again.

When researching this problem, I found a thread that suggested that connecting the camera to an unpowered USB hub could be the cause of this. I purchased a powered hub, but this problem persists.

Any ideas?
Mount: Skywatcher EQM-35 Pro
Main Imager: ZWO 183MC Uncooled
Guider1: SSAG (Retired)
Guider2: ZWO 120mm mini
Telescope: Celestron 6” SCT with Hyperstar
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Jake Grimsrud.
3 years 4 months ago #64543

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
Ideas:
- There were issues when disabling one of several cameras, it would affect the other cameras with the symptoms you describe. Fixed in latest git, so if you have access to nightly builds give it a try.

- As for debug, you have to enable/configure that before starting/connecting to INDI. Click on the 'Logs' button in the Setup tab. There you can configure the debug logging.

- Is this using a Pi computer? Most issues I read were with them. Except for the case in the first point, I usually don't have download issues with the cameras (1600, 183, 290mini)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake Grimsrud
3 years 4 months ago #64560

• Thank you received: 0
Thank you! I did not realize the debugger required some prior input before enabling it. I have not configured any of the debugging options as you describe, so that is certainly why that button doesn’t work!

I’m running on MacOS. Do you know if it’s possibly for me to build the DMG from the latest git? Or do I need special SDK tools to make that happen?

The night I ran into this problem, I was using a Macbook Pro, but I have also ran into this problem when testing out my RPI. I read somewhere that this could be because of a bandwidth issue when plugging multiple things into a single USB hub? All my stuff is plugged into a powered hub. I read something about the USB 2.0 ASI120mm not always playing nicely with other devices, such as my ASI183mc.

I’ve never heard of bandwidth/traffic issues on a USB hub before today. I figured that a USB 3.0 hub would have more than enough bandwidth to deal with an autoguider and imaging camera. Is that a legitimate cause that I should look into further?
Mount: Skywatcher EQM-35 Pro
Main Imager: ZWO 183MC Uncooled
Guider1: SSAG (Retired)
Guider2: ZWO 120mm mini
Telescope: Celestron 6” SCT with Hyperstar
3 years 4 months ago #64563

Time to create page: 0.602 seconds