INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New All Sky camera management software: indi-allsky

• Thank you received: 1
Hi Aaron,
I've had my indi-allsy up and running, and it's great. One small hiccup.....The gain never changes, it's stuck at -1, no matter what max gain I set. I'm using a DMK21. Any help would be great.
Terry
6 months 3 weeks ago #96264

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 66

I am not very familiar with the Imaging Source cameras, but I think it uses the indi_v4l2_ccd server. As far as I know, everything using that server is a fixed gain. The "-1" value is just the dummy value in my code. You could remove the gain information from the image label to remove the artifact.

If you want, you could run "indi_getprop" and paste the output here and I can confirm what settings are available. Just make sure you run it after indi-allsky connects to the camera.
6 months 3 weeks ago #96272

• Thank you received: 4
I tried to install indi-allsky on my RPi Zero 2 W with Raspbian12 bookworm. I get the following problem:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libimath-dev : Conflicts: libilmbase-dev
 libopenexr-dev : Breaks: libilmbase-dev (< 2.5.7-3~)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I could not resolve the conflict.

CS, Markus
3 months 5 days ago #98382

This is a bug in Raspbian/Debian 12 32-bit. The 64-bit release should work fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markus Kempf
3 months 5 days ago #98385

the 64bit version did the trick. But it was necessary to increase the default swap size of 100M to 512M to compile INDI with your script. The 32bit version compiled INDI with the default config.

CS, Markus
3 months 4 days ago #98428

• Thank you received: 16
Firstly, thanks so much for developing this -- it looks like a really super tool.

I have an Oculus mounted at the observatory but the software I'm using is not well adapted to all-sky use (it's not the Starlight Express S/W as they don't produce macOS S/W). This looks like a great solution.

I've set up a RPi4 and installed it in the house, and attached an ASI290MC which I temporarily removed from a planetary imaging setup for testing. Now I want to take the RPi to the observatory and connect it to the Oculus (which contains a SuperStar Mono). So now I want to change camera driver.

But ... how do I do that? I'm new to INDI so it's not as obvious to me as it should be.

Thanks,
Richard
3 months 3 days ago #98458

You should be able to just re-run setup.sh . During the setup it should mention that there is already an indiserver configured. You should select that you want to replace it. After a few more seconds, you will be able to select indi_sx_ccd.

Once the setup.sh script completes, I would suggest just performing a full reboot and you should be all set.

Because starlight express cameras are usually fixed gain, you may want to utilize the stretching algorithm to get more detail. I have seen some very impressive timelapses from starlight express cameras.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Francis
Last edit: 3 months 3 days ago by Aaron Morris.
3 months 3 days ago #98461

• Thank you received: 16
Firstly, to note that your suggestion to re-run setup.sh did work. Thanks for that.

I've slowly been getting the system running to my preferences, and it is way better than what I was using before. Brilliant!

But as part of that setting up, I'm trying to adjust the main view. My SuperStar imager is relatively small, pixel-wise, so the default text is uncomfortably large. I've succeeded in changing colours and fonts, but the size remains stubbornly the same. There's a remark next to the Font Size field on the Image tab that "Size may be overridden in template". It looks like tis is the case. But where is this template, and how can I override that?

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I go on (and once the weather improves) but for now, it's great.

Oh yes, I can think of one question: you mentioned stretching. I can, of course, experiment with the parameters once I have something other than clouds to look at. But is there a wiki on the subject, or guidance like there is for the CLAHE contrast stretch?

Thanks,
Richard
3 months 11 hours ago #98505

The Image label (overlay) wiki might be helpful. There is a "size" tag you can change to set the size of the text. The template may be configured in the Config page on the Image tab, near the middle at "Label Template".
github.com/aaronwmorris/indi-allsky/wiki/Image-Labels

As for the stretching and other options, I have a neat feature that can be useful. Under Tools -> Process FITS, this page will let you process FITS images in real time. You can adjust the different stretching and contrast enhancement settings and see the results instantly. You just need to enable saving FITS files under Config -> Image (tab) at "Save FITS data". Just enable that, reload, let it capture a few FITS frames, disable the option (reload again). You can use the "Process FITS" option directly which loads the last saved FITS file, or pick a specific image under the Image View and click "FITS Processing" at the bottom.

Once you have the settings you are happy with, just set the same values in the Config page.
3 months 11 hours ago #98507

• Thank you received: 7
Hello Aaron i have a IMX290 waveshare and use with bullseye driver indi_pylibcamera but in last Raspbian 12 have problems with virtual enviroment with your Allsky; you have resolved?
Regards.
Ettore
2 months 4 weeks ago #98519

Hi Aaron,

could you explain the detailed working of the passive mode. I don't get it and I did not find something in the wiki.

CS, Markus
2 months 4 weeks ago #98522

I have done this previously, but I recall it being a bit of a pain. I am setting up a new lab, so let me get back to you on the steps.
2 months 4 weeks ago #98530

Time to create page: 1.092 seconds