INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Errors due to port instability

• Thank you received: 8
Thanks, Stephane, for your detailed consideration to my issues.

Sadly, though, I have given up on the Pi5 and ordered a Stellarmate Pro. The issues with their app don't concern me, I can use the device as I have been using the Pi, a NoVNC connection via Wifi, with a real WiFi antenna, better physical connection to my rig, offers me better hope of getting a working system going.

Two years ago, I was seduced by this article into thinking this would be easier than it has turned out to be. So many things could go wrong and so many did. We can rename Murphy's Law (if something can go wrong, it will) Cohen's law. Not just power issues in general, but so many of them! Every cable is a potential flaw. And no good way to measure it, though you provide some good clues here.

The other thing that got me thinking about Stellarmate was your mention that all you guys who are working on AstroArch are using an Ethernet, not a WiFi connnection. That is not an option for me, due to my location up the hill from a horse stable, which brings a lot of flies, so screens must be kept closed so ugly cables through the door are not a real possibility. Nor am I willing to rewire my house. So WiFi hasn't been tested as much as I would have hoped. I was the guinea pig. And the results were poor.

I like your suggestion of plugging the USB for the EAF into the camera. That never occurred to me. That I can try if the Stellarmate doesn't work out.
2 days 3 hours ago #100662

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29
I understand, your choice for StellarMate is a good choice. I think there is no competition, but real complementarity. Especially since Astroberry is no longer updated.

On the other hand, whether with Astroberry, my own version ArchLinux or AstroArch, I do not use the wired connection, but exclusively Wi-Fi with three telescopes and 2 PCs plus an Android tablet. So after many hours spent outdoors at 1800 m, in humidity and sometimes extreme cold, I never had Wi-Fi problems.

The problems mainly come from batteries, cables incorrectly connected or mounted in the wrong order, configuration files and often updates. The only real problem with pi Wi-Fi is the range beyond 5m and walls.

In computing and electronics, nothing is easy and perfect. And whether it is StellarMatte or AstroArch, everything is done to simplify use for the greatest number of people. But unfortunately, each user uses a personal configuration. And fortunately, mutual aid and feedback allows everyone to find solutions.

I wish you a great experience with StellarMatte and if you come back to AstroArch I hope to help you again

clear sky
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Cohen
2 days 3 hours ago #100664

• Thank you received: 8
>>On the other hand, whether with Astroberry, my own version ArchLinux or AstroArch, I do not use the wired connection, but exclusively Wi-Fi with three telescopes and 2 PCs plus an Android tablet. So after many hours spent outdoors at 1800 m, in humidity and sometimes extreme cold, I never had Wi-Fi problems.

I must have gotten you confused with someone else. Several other users prefer Ethernet.

In my opinion, these recent posts of yours deserve to be enshrined in a document or two under the AstroArch label. Call it "HOWTO use AstroArch with WiFi". "RPi 4 or RPi5 - which is better for AstroArch". I wish I had known this stuff a few months ago. Too often, it is simply assumed that one is or isn't using WiFi. Really, there are separate diagnostic trees to be traversed in the two cases. You seem to have a lot of really interesting knowledge about the minutiae of this setup. Like for example - WHICH USB3 port to plug which piece of equipment. This is something that might never occur to a new user. It certainly never occurred to me.
2 days 1 hour ago #100665

• Thank you received: 29
I think Mattia will include this in the README of the next version of AstroArch and the user experience will be even better with some software - configurations which will help greatly.
2 days 1 hour ago #100666

Moderators: Mattia
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds